Mt. Jasper, Berlin, NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&J

Reaction score
Mt. Jasper isn't the biggest of mountains (1,584'), doesn't have the longest trail (only .75m), isn't on any major list (though it is on some lists, I'm sure) but it is a lot of fun to hike and has some history dating back 9,000 years.

I won't go into the historical significance of the mountain but this is a link to a paper by NH State Archeologist Dick Boisvert which explains all. Interesting stuff.
LINK: https://www.nh.gov/nhdhr/documents/aena92mtjasper.pdf

If you've ever hiked Mt. Cabot and accessed it via Rt. 110 in Berlin, you've driven by Mt. Jasper. It sits to the north of 110 as you leave Berlin proper. Even though the trail is only 3/4 of a mile, we wandered about checking things out above and below and spent a satisfying three hours of exploring. A handful of pictures from our day.

A nice kiosk is located at the start of the trail with a large map. No mileages listed though.
P1010667.JPG

Several informational signs are located along the trail.
P1010668.JPG

Another smaller sign.
P1010671.JPG

Lots of leaves.
P1010677.JPG

Nice stone stairs.
P1010678.JPG

We had a variety of weather today, rain, snow, graupel with a brisk biting wind blowing.
P1010681.JPG

Chicken of the Woods, a quite edible mushroom.
P1010684.JPG

Reaching the summit of Mt. Jasper, we had a front row view of the new wind turbines on Jericho Mountain. There are five wind turbines at this location.
P1010692.JPG

The summit of Jericho.
P1010699.JPG

A zoomed in view of the turbines.
P1010721.JPG

Great views. Although on a clearer day, the views would be really grand. That's Mt. Forest (or Mt. Forist, your choice) off to the right
with the city of Berlin below.
P1010718.JPG

A prickly sighting.
P1010745.JPG

Really interesting view of Berlin! Unfortunately, it's too far away for me to do as a stand-alone :( . Might combine it with Mt. Forist and some other places near the fish hatchery if I ever go back that way.

So much to see, so little time...

Another nice hike to add would Pine Mountain in Gorham. Great views from the ledges looking south down Pinkham Notch and from the lean to on the north summit looking west.

Another nice hike to add would Pine Mountain in Gorham. Great views from the ledges looking south down Pinkham Notch and from the lean to on the north summit looking west.

You know for all the years, I've hiked in the Northern Peaks, many times using Dolly Copp and Barnes field as a base. I've never done Pine Mountain.

Pine mountain is great little hike when the summer camp at top is closed, the biggest challenge is finding the trailhead in Gorham and if during snow season locating the turnoff the snowmachine trail. There are a couple of view points around the camp that are not signed. The trail is routed around the main camp area but most will just cut over to the camp rather than do the final meander through the woods. The three points to visit are the big rock used for a Chapel (turn left when you first come into the camp at an obvious path that crosses the trail perpendicularly. At this same point take a right and had into the main grounds of the camp to the area with the big bell. Take a right and follow a trail that goes by several cabins up a small rise and you will end up on the north summit at a lean to facing west. Head back down to the bell and the path to the old fire tower and summit heads south. Along this route there are short spurs to outlooks on the edge of the prominent cliffs ad a couple of nice lean tos. There is no longer a great view from summit but if you head down the ledges there is unusual view looking up the ridge to Madison. There are bouldering opportunities down the ledges in the summer.

The alternative approach that I use in the winter is via Harriman Spring road from RT 2. Its a town right of way maintained by the owner of large mansion. When you get to the end of the road across from his gate, bear left and the road runs into the woods via an old logging road. Follow this south and then at the top of the slope bear right to slab down the slope to the old Harriman Spring well house and then on to the old bottling plant. Cross the bridge over Moose Brook and then take a compass bearing for the summit. Its fairly open hardwoods and near the top you will encounter the Horton Center access road. The old bottling Plant was also a railroad stop and there were two long abandoned trails that started here. If you have never explored the old RR right of way around Gorham Hill its nice walk with a lot or interesting features. Its not place to walk in the winter as its a major snow machine route.

Interesting history of Mount Jasper. Thanks for posting.

Regarding Pine Mountain, I agree it's worth the trip. I tend to park at the Pine Link TH and go up from the Horton Center Rd side. Peakbagger's advice about the trail being difficult to find from the Gorham end is no joke....the turn off the snow machine trail is also very easy to miss as he mentions.

As the end of the Presidential Range, I may include it on future traverse.

Historically Pine Link started in Gorham and went all the way up Madison . It was the main route for the folks staying in town to climb Madison. The Pine Mountain trail apparently follows the old Pine Link route. The locals who work at the Horton Center have been know to swing into town in the evening via the Pine Mountain trail.

The turn off the snowmachine route was signed the last time I was up there. its just that it get so little use that the trail isn't obvious as compared to the snowmachine route which a old logging road.