camping in Lincoln

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/whitemountain/alerts-notices/?aid=31146

Most FS campgrounds closed after Columbus Day weekend. A few remained open afterward, but I dunno if they're closed now. I'd say your best bet is the Hancock Campground, which is open year-round and not far from Lincoln at all. Practically across the street from the Lincoln Woods visitor center.

Dunno about privately-owned campgrounds though. I'd assume most of them are closed too.

During the shoulder season between Columbus Day and the snow, I have received open permission from both the Forest Service and the State to walk in to certain otherwise-closed campgrounds. I was told by the FS that Big Rock was available as long as I parked legally (off the road, not blocking the driveway) and got the same permission for the Dry River campground in Crawford Notch. Obviously, I wouldn't try it without asking first, but when there's no snow on the ground, it may be an option. I was careful to make payment all the same; no one wants to be rousted after retiring.

Irrespective of conditions, Hancock in the west and Blackberry Crossing in the east are open all winter. Pay by check so that you can demonstrate that you paid (one caretaker at Blackberry was a touch paranoid and the check proved my legitimacy).

Good luck!

There is a good chance I will be heading up to Hancock tomorrow evening, arriving between 1030 and 1230, even tho Sunday has rain and hypothermia conditions. I will put a "V" on my site by the number. If you come later, stop in, but pay the second vehicle fee ($5), noting my site number on the envelop, and get the receipt.

I will be sleeping in my white cherokee with CT plates.

Of course if Hancock is full, I dont have plans to stay there. But Im betting that Sunday's forecast will limit occupancy. Also the hotel rates for Franconia notch are falling below $79...thats another good sign.

ALways bring a pen or pencil, people love to rip off the corded one by the fee station.

Last edited: