REI is closed on Black Friday

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
I expect there'll be a collective cheer among VFTT for such a positive sentiment and example of putting your money where your mouth is:

http://optoutside.rei.com/

They'll be promoting this with suggested local hikes.

One particularly mild and snowless fall we headed to the White Mountains where Tripoli Road was still open and we bagged the West Peak of Scar Ridge, finishing under a bright moon and two moose sightings. Beats shopping anytime!

I expect there'll be a collective cheer among VFTT for such a positive sentiment and example of putting your money where your mouth is:

http://optoutside.rei.com/

They'll be promoting this with suggested local hikes.

One particularly mild and snowless fall we headed to the White Mountains where Tripoli Road was still open and we bagged the West Peak of Scar Ridge, finishing under a bright moon and two moose sightings. Beats shopping anytime!

Since the end of high school I've tried to coordinate a Post-Thanksgiving hike. We've made it out pretty much every year, usually on Friday, but sometimes a day or two later. It used to be the traditional 'last hike of the year' (to bookend the Memorial Day 'first hike of the year'). Of course, winter hiking has changed that, but it's still nice to get out and enjoy life.

I read somewhere if you go on the website that day, a screen will pop up trying to convince you to go do something outdoors instead of buying stuff. If you really have to buy something that day if you ignore the suggestion the website will then allow you to buy something.

I like this almost as much as Patagonia's tags which ask the very pertinent question, "do you really NEED this jacket."

There are far more valuable pursuits than consumerism for sure. Somebody here has the tag line, "own less, do more."

Yes.

but sometimes when I get a signal in the middle of the wilderness after I've stepped over my umpteenth blowdown, I feel like rewarding myself by shopping for outdoor gear :)

Last edited:
I rarely buy new clothes or gear. I run my stuff into the ground. Granted, I pay top dollar for what I do buy. Black Friday means nothing to me, I don't holiday shop at all. Yes, I'm a scrooge, if you need me on Christmas, go to the cash game room at Foxwoods, I'm the dude with the Patagonia cap on and the HUGE stack of chips in front of him.:eek: