Exploring Piermont Mountain, Piermont, NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J&J

Reaction score
On three separate days in October, June and I explored Piermont Mountain and its environs. What we discovered is that Piermont is one incredible mountain. The view from the summit itself is extraordinary. The ledges that make up this mountain are countless, beautiful and awe inspiring. The forest is mostly hardwood making for easy exploring and bushwhacking. The woods are filled with historical artifacts, many of which made us scratch our heads and wonder, what the heck is this?

Day one was a straightforward hike up the Private Ritchie Green trail to the summit on a wonderful fall day. A mellow trail for the most part with a couple of steep, rough pitches.

Day two started off with a bushwhack where we ended up encountering a bootleg trail that took us to the summit. This trail had one really tough section through a fir/spruce forest with a steep pitch and rocky path.

Day three involved a day long bushwhack exploring an old camp and finding other interesting things along the way.

It is truly worth one’s efforts to spend a day tramping Piermont Mountain.

A view from the summit looking across Lake Tarleton to Webster Slide Mountain to the left, Mt. Mist to the right with Mt. Moosilauke and the South Peak rising above all.
P1010556.JPG

What’s a summit view without some wind turbines, these on Lempster Mountain.
P1010577.JPG

The rocky summit of Piermont with various plaques adorning the topmost ledge.
P1010582.JPG

The largest bracket fungus we have ever seen.
P1010785.JPG

A snow covered Moosilauke with bands of blowing snow.
P1010816.JPG

Walking the plank over a leaf covered stream.
P1010857.JPG

An old water tank in the middle of the woods.
P1020408.JPG

Ever wondered what the inside of an old water tank looked like? Here you go.
P1020410.JPG

One of too many to count incredible ledges scattered throughout the woods.
P1020464.JPG

View across Lake Katherine to Moosilauke.
P1020473.JPG

An old jug used for water, milk, or maybe alcohol?
P1020494.JPG

A large chimney stands alone in the woods.
P1020506.JPG

I really enjoyed Piermont for the first time back in May via Richie Green trail. Beautiful summit. A friendly camp maintenance worker guided me to the trailhead. Cool photos!

Hi J&J

That's one nice set photos of Piermont. You just bumped Piermont way up on my to-do list. Any place that has Clough Quartzite is worth visiting. It looks like Piermont Mountain has plenty. That jug is lot like the one we found at Camp 11 on Owls Head. I'm sure you didn't leave it in the up position.

IMG_0540-L.jpg