East Mountain, VT - Abandoned Military Radar Base 10-31-2015

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeRmudfun

Reaction score
This was the most unique hike we have been on to date and we did it on Halloween to boot! Not much of a hike either just a 2 mile walk up a paved road, that is in incredible condition for being over 50 years old, located in the Northeast Kingdom. We love finding old buildings and artifacts, this place is a super overloaded on both. :cool: Located on Radar Road, we approached through Victory, VT. We were able to drive all the way up to the Cantonment Area and park there. As soon as we got out of the car and saw everything that was left, we knew it was going to be a great day.
The base first opened in 1956 as North Concord Air Force Station, then 6 years later on the same day, March 1st, the name was changed to Lyndonville Air Force Station. East Mountain was chosen by the Air Force for the radar base during the Cold War era to cover the gap in the St. Lawrence River Valley. It was consider to be the last line of defense in an attack on New York City or Washington DC.
The Cantonment Area was a small scale base with such amenities as a Mess Hall, Motor Pool, Barracks, Rec Hall, Bowling Alley, etc. A lot of the buildings are still standing, others only have the cement slab as a sign of where they once stood. There is stuff everywhere along with graffiti spray painted on everything. That is a shame, but the history is still there. The base closed in 1963, so it was interesting to walk around the old base and see Mother Nature slowly taking back what was once hers.
When the Air Force left, they allegedly dumped gases and oil on the ground causing the base to be put on list of contaminated places in Vermont. There is also a lot of scrap metal dumped in the surrounding woods near the swamp. We found an old Dodge car out there too. :eek:
After looking at everything in the Cantonment Area, we headed up the 2 mile road to the summit. Up until last year it was possible to drive to the summit, though the road is basically one lane wide in spots. There is now a large round tank blocking the road, so walking is the only way up. The ATVers have already made their way around it though.
The summit contains 5 radar towers, radar operation buildings and more graffiti. People seem to like to shoot up there too as there are a lot of bullet holes. A group called the ‘Lyndonville AFS Preservation Group’ that is trying to clean up the area and cover the graffiti. ;) Being careful it is possible to see some really nice views of the Northeast Kingdom from the top of two of the towers.
East Mountain is on New England 50 Finest hiking list, we not doing that, but after seeing it was on a list we were curious, we have 20 of them done. :rolleyes: It is a long drive to get there, but for us, it was soooo worth it. There was talk about a wind farm going up on the mountain, but it hit a lot of roadblocks, so it is on hold indefinitely. We decided to move this place up on our to-do list before access is restricted, plus it would stink to drive 3 hours only to see a No Trespassing sign! :eek:
We picked up 3 Geocaches while we were there. There were a few more, but by the end of our exploring we were a little tired and said, next time. There was so much to see here, that we ended up with tons of video. It was difficult to keep it to a reasonable length, originally it came out to over 23 minutes. We kept cutting clips out and got it down to a little over 15 minutes.

The Video: (Best viewed at 1080p60):

Interesting. I was there a few months ago, and was able to drive all the way to the top. Guess someone does not want that to happen anymore.

I believe that many of the buildings were designed to be full of racks of equipment, and the channels on the floor would be used to route wires between them.

Good to see that the owner allows access again. He wanted to put a wind farm up there a few years ago and closed off public access when he didn't get approval.

Interesting. I was there a few months ago, and was able to drive all the way to the top. Guess someone does not want that to happen anymore.

I believe that many of the buildings were designed to be full of racks of equipment, and the channels on the floor would be used to route wires between them.

From what I researched the road to the summit has been blocked since at least May of this year. Thanks for clearing up the 'channels in the floor', that's make a lot of sense, had us really wondering. :)

I really enjoyed the video. Haven't been there myself but have a friend who grew up nearby. He has some great stories of going up there as a youngster shortly after the base was closed. At that time it was very much complete with cloths hanging in closets, dishes and cups on tables, bunks made up with sheets and blankets etc. It seems when it was closed the only thing the military took were the weapons. His stories also include him and his buddies being shot at and run off by the landowner who by then had probably had his fill of trespassers looting stuff. He had a backpack from there that he kept all these years but lost it and everything else he owned when his house burned a couple years back. Thanks again for the video - Dave

I really enjoyed the video. Haven't been there myself but have a friend who grew up nearby. He has some great stories of going up there as a youngster shortly after the base was closed. At that time it was very much complete with cloths hanging in closets, dishes and cups on tables, bunks made up with sheets and blankets etc. It seems when it was closed the only thing the military took were the weapons. His stories also include him and his buddies being shot at and run off by the landowner who by then had probably had his fill of trespassers looting stuff. He had a backpack from there that he kept all these years but lost it and everything else he owned when his house burned a couple years back. Thanks again for the video - Dave
We are glad you liked the video, thank you for your comments. :) We would have loved to seen the base when your friend did. From our research, that was probably Ed Sawyer who was shooting at him. :eek:

having done East MT with a small house you can rent above 3k,I met the owner and he knew the owner of East Haven....he mentioned it was not ok to go on private property known as East Haven. Guess this has changed. I am wondering if a jar is up on E Haven past the buildings to the high pt.The high pt of East is not at the cabin but further out