Moriah Brook trail Wild River crossing beta

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDawg

Reaction score
For those interested, I crossed today at the closed bridge and was able to rock hop across 20 yards upstream with dry feet at 48 cubic feet per second, 2.55 feet on the Wild River stream gauge. It wouldn't take much more water to make it a very tricky and/or wet crossing. Cold temps would add a glaze of ice on a few of the rocks used, of course.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv/?site_no=01054200

I did the loop over Moriah and Shelburne Moriah, including Highwater trail which was not difficult to follow. We were able to do Highwater and over half of Shelburne trail under headlamps, actually. All other trails were in pretty good shape for a wilderness area, lots of step over blowdowns. Moriah Brook and Shelburne trails were covered with lots of leaves low down covering some mud holes and making footing pretty tedious at times.

Attachments

• image-1239856158.jpg
    image-1239856158.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 235
  • image-3318644957.jpg
    image-3318644957.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
According to someone I know who did some hiking in there a month ago, the bridge works fine. :cool: This story is true but the names are well, undisclosed to protest the guilty. ;)

Yes, had the river been up I would have given more thought to using the bridge.

The northern side support stringer (if that's what it's called) is the only thing I could see actually wrong with it as it is no longer taught. The southern one is, but is fixed to land that is undercut. You can kind of see it in the picture.

Last edited: