Overnight BackPack in CT - Or a close drive...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikingBryan

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My buddy and I (both parents with little kids) have been given the green light to get away for an overnight.
We will be leaving from southwestern CT and are willing to drive up to 1.5 hours to a trail/location.
I've always been a White Mountains fan, and he is closer to the ADKs, but given our location and timeframe we need to find something more local.
That said, can anyone recommend a decent spot to walk in, set up camp, and brush the cobwebs off our gear?

It doesn't have to be high elevation, just somewhere mellow and approachable.

Thanks,

Bryan

Start in NW CT on the AT North off Rt. 41 in Salisbury.

Over Lions Head, Bear Mtn, into MA thru Sages Ravine, Mt Race, Mt Everett. All 4 peaks have very nice views. Especially Mt. Race and the ledges leading up to the summit.

There's side trails to cut the trip shorter if you can't commit to going out to Jug End Rd after Mt Everett.

Last edited:
It is the Appalachian Trail so there's a bunch through there and the established ones will be well documented if you do a little homework.

I can only remember the names of 2. Riga Shelter/campsite which looked like a nice stop but too early on in the trip. And there's Laurel Ridge campsite between Sages Ravine and Mt Race which would be close to the halfway point if you're looking at a 2 day, 1 night hike.

Last edited:
Northwest Camp (I think that's the name) has a bunkhouse and tent platform near the AT. I believe it is still maintained and reserved through a committee of the AMC Berkshire Chapter.

Nearby the Northwest Camp, which is 3/4 mile west of the A.T. at the north base of Bear Mountain's summit cone on the unblazed but very clear Northwest Road trail, is Sages Ravine campsite in a beautiful spot, deep, dark wooded hollow, right on the A.T. Lots of tent pads there. In Salisbury, mile or two south of Bear and north of Riga, is Brassie Brook, with shelter and tent pads. About 0.4 miles east of the col between Mts. Race and Everett in Mass on the Race Brook Falls Trail is Race Brook tentsite with several pads. That trail continues on another 1.7 miles to Undermountain Road, passing several very nice waterfalls. The RBF trailhead on Undermountain is a good place to park second car. Only one fall is on the main trail, but several more can easily be accessed, most on another branch of the trail and one with an easy, very short side trip off trail. PM me for route details if you like - RBF is one of my favorite trails.

I'd put in a plug also for the Mount Greylock State Reservation in NW Mass. Still meets your 90 minutes spec - you can take Rt. 7 all the way up until Pittsfield. A.T. traverses it, too, great views from summit, and lots of good hiking. Much higher than Bear/Everett/Race, so cold wintry weather can be a factor. You'll want to watch the weather like a hawk, anyhow, if you plan an overnight trip.

Anywhere along the A.T. in NY, CT or MA is great. If colder weather is forecast, a hike through Kent from Bulls Bridge to Rt. 4 in Sharon would be lower down and not as cold, also a bit closer to home. Kent, Salisbury, Great Barrington and Williamstown, among other nearby towns, offer several nice options for a post-hike meal.

Last edited:
More mellow options

A couple more mellow options on the AT a little south of the ones mentioned:

Stewart Hollow campsite is about 1.3 miles from the trailhead at the end of River Road in Kent. Stewart Hollow shelter is a few hundred feet further north. Stony Brook campsite is about half a mile further north. That section of the AT is dead flat, mostly following an abandoned road, and near the Housatonic River.

Caesar Brook campsite is about half a mile from the intersection of the AT and the north leg of the Pine Knob Loop Trail. This leg of the loop has a short steep section, crosses a ledge with a decent outlook across the Housatonic River. From the Pine Knob loop trailhead, you could also take the south leg of the Pine Knob Loop, which is mostly follows Hatch Brook with some nice cascades, and also has a decent viewpoint, making a slightly longer hike. Or start at the Mohawk Trail Trailhead near the intesection of RTs 4 & 7, hike over Breadloaf Mt with a decent view to the south, join the AT on the other side of the summit (such as it is), and head North, for a bit of a longer hike.

I haven't stayed at any of these campsites, just noted them as I hiked by. Wouldn't trust any water sources in the area.

TomK

I'd recommend the Race, Everett part of the trip. The whole Riga Plateau section of the AT between Lion's Head (near Rt. 41 in CT) and Jug End, (near MA 41 across the border) is good. as mentioned, since it's on the AT, there are even a couple of more camp sites not listed by others. The most dramatic views are along Race or either Race Brook or the one just south of Race a bit are good choices.

Greylock is nice and there are a few spots near by to choose from. The Breadloaf, Pine Loop area is not bad either but I'd look at the other two first.

The whole Riga Plateau section of the AT between Lion's Head (near Rt. 41 in CT) and Jug End, (near MA 41 across the border) is good. as mentioned, since it's on the AT, there are even a couple of more camp sites not listed by others.

Mike's right. There's another camping area between Brassie Brook and Riga - Ball Brook is the name, if memory serves me correctly. Also a couple spots about two miles NOBO from Everett's summit, Hemlock is one, I forget the name of the other, which is right next to it.

One other note: a side trip of 100 feet or so gives a nice view of the upper reaches of Bear Rock Falls, near the Laurel tenting area between Sages Ravine and Race summit. The cliff at the top of the falls is a nice view spot, and there are spots nearby where one can see as much as 100 feet of the falls' total 300' drop. Gotta take care there to avoid slipping, but nice views.