Question on Trail Running Vests

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am considering a trail running vest. Specifically, I am mean the kind of vest used specifically for trail running that has fairly rugged, comfortable straps so it doesn't flop around and holds a minimum amount of gear, some essentials. I also like how the water bladder is spread out across a larger area on the upper back on some I have seen. It would need to hold a liter of water.

Anyone have advice regarding anything including specific styles, brands, and features?

What's good to consider?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Do you mean vest in the sense of clothing for warmth, or for carrying gear?

I have heard good things about ultimate direction gear. My wife has done up to 100k wearing this:
http://www.rei.com/product/868300/ultimate-direction-ultra-vesta-hydration-vest-womens

As a pack-whore, I've looked at it, and the build quality seems to stack up with the level of quality you would expect from Osprey, Gregory, etc... On the flip side, IMO they're fairly overpriced (for what you get). Nicole has used a 1L bladder with this pack, but note that one isn't included.

I've been pretty happy with the Salomon S-Lab Adv Skin Set 12, which is a real mouthful. They're up to version 3 now, apparently. It's my trail running pack, commuter pack, road long-run pack in winter, and did the R2R2R. It's pricey: $185 for the pack, something like $40 if you want the bladder (it comes with bottles), but pretty capacious and sits nicely. I should be able to do without it for a few days to a week if you want to give it a spin; I'm still in marathon recovery so I'm not run commuting.

I've been pretty happy with the Salomon S-Lab Adv Skin Set 12, which is a real mouthful. They're up to version 3 now, apparently. It's my trail running pack, commuter pack, road long-run pack in winter, and did the R2R2R. It's pricey: $185 for the pack, something like $40 if you want the bladder (it comes with bottles), but pretty capacious and sits nicely. I should be able to do without it for a few days to a week if you want to give it a spin; I'm still in marathon recovery so I'm not run commuting.

Thanks! The offer is appreciated.

Let me look this one up and check out the features - I'll send you a PM if it looks like one I might be interested in. I was hoping to see lower prices on these but am not surprised.

I use a Nathan Zealos and am very happy with it. 2L reservoir, and has a separate bottle for mixables, like Heed, Skratch, etc.. I used it for an 11+ mile trail race this fall and was very pleased with it. No bounce, which to me is the biggest factor in a running hydration pack.

I use a Nathan Zealos and am very happy with it. 2L reservoir, and has a separate bottle for mixables, like Heed, Skratch, etc.. I used it for an 11+ mile trail race this fall and was very pleased with it. No bounce, which to me is the biggest factor in a running hydration pack.

Thanks for the suggestion - and I agree, the bounce factor is my biggest concern. Running with a general small hydration pack is no good.