Ice Trekkers Diamond Grip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I've been looking for some sort of traction for a few years now for the early shoulder season when the ground is solid from frost, rocks have a thin glaze of ice, wet ledge, etc. I found an article on a fishing website for Rock Trekkers that are supposed to be used for slick and slimy rocks, etc. Sounded like a good possibility. I couldn't find online but apparently the Ice Trekkers are the exact same product packaged differently. They were under $40 so I got a pair (about $32 right now with the sales).

I was able to try last weekend on Boott Spur and I was pretty impressed. They go on boots just like Kahtoola spikes but instead of spikes they have metal beads with points in various directions. They were great on modest incline icy surfaces that boots would slip on, they were also awesome on slick bog bridges and open ledge and rock in general, wet or dry. They also stayed clean on normal trails. They did not pick up any debris, sticks, etc. They definitely don't have enough bite for any kind of meaningful incline but for those days where it is slick and you'd be all over the place in a regular boot they were a big help.

Anyone else out there using this product? Curious how they hold up long term, how fast the beads wear out, etc. Kahtoola Microspikes are the only "less than crampon" traction product I have ever used. For the price I'd probably get a pair every season if necessary. And they really are only of use in specific circumstances so they shouldn't wear out too fast. Any feedback or recommendations on an even better product for these specific conditions?

I recently hiked up to Mt. Eisenhower,and it was snowing with high winds. There was about 2 inches of snow on the ground which I figured was not enough to put on my spikes. I stupidly didn`t use them and now I am "out of commission" for a while. I hurt my knee pretty badly after a slip & fall. If I had a pair of these or something similar, I would have used them. I will definitely check them out. Thanks for the information.

I recently hiked up to Mt. Eisenhower,and it was snowing with high winds. There was about 2 inches of snow on the ground which I figured was not enough to put on my spikes. I stupidly didn`t use them and now I am "out of commission" for a while. I hurt my knee pretty badly after a slip & fall. If I had a pair of these or something similar, I would have used them. I will definitely check them out. Thanks for the information.

I don't think they'd be useful in 2 inches of snow. More for wet rock and when things get that glaze of thin ice all over them where you would really struggle in bare boots. I'd probably have gone with the Microspikes for those conditions. On my second Winter hike ever a few years ago I dislocated a shoulder in a fall because I was too lazy to switch from snowshoes to spikes. I always lean toward having traction on even if I don't think I need it now.

After being in crampons for years and years, I bought spikes a few years back and I do like not having crampons in conditions where they are overkill. But, I have noticed that on steep ice, they are not the holy grail, I've slipped in spikes. personally, I wouldn't go lower in bite then spikes. I'm now considering a trail crampon, but am not impressed with Hillshounds.

I think everyone is misunderstanding my post. The IceTrekkers I bought for the very specific circumstance of slick surfaces from a GLAZE of thin ice, not actual ice and/or Winter travel. I used on wet rocks, wet ledge, icy bog bridges, river crossings with slick mossy or icy rocks, mossy surfaces, etc. They don't work on steeper terrain and I wouldn't even consider in normal Winter conditions. I got for when the lengthy spikes of Kahtoola's or similar products are too long and actually more treacherous than bare booting.

My question was if anyone was using and how long they held up before wearing out or if anyone found a better product for these similar and specific circumstances.

I use Stabilicers (the heavy ones) for the conditions you describe. I think they work fine. The soles are mostly rubber with screwheads along the periphery.

I use Stabilicers (the heavy ones) for the conditions you describe. I think they work fine. The soles are mostly rubber with screwheads along the periphery.

Hi jfb,

I assume these are the models you are referring to:

http://www.discountsafetygear.com/32-north-stablilicers-cleats.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=119390752338&gclid=Cj0KEQiAvuWyBRDO_Yzhpv_4nvEBEiQANBdXMknO-YHnTIoOm_bhKUFDXV26J62mCmX6AfUNWGOdo58aAqPK8P8HAQ

I like the idea of the replaceable cleats. A bag of 50 for under $4.00 would make me far more likely to use them on mixed terrain. I currently have two pairs of Kahtoola microspikes that I carry for mixed terrain conditions (one pretty new and the second beat to death). It would be nice to just put on the the Stabiliicers MAXX and not worry about wearing out the cleats versus switching out my microspikes when rocks are exposed.

Thank for putting that suggestion out there. The only Stabilicers I have carried are the previous models that I find along the trail ;)

Be well,

Z :D

Hi jfb,

I assume these are the models you are referring to:

http://www.discountsafetygear.com/32-north-stablilicers-cleats.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=119390752338&gclid=Cj0KEQiAvuWyBRDO_Yzhpv_4nvEBEiQANBdXMknO-YHnTIoOm_bhKUFDXV26J62mCmX6AfUNWGOdo58aAqPK8P8HAQ

I like the idea of the replaceable cleats. A bag of 50 for under $4.00 would make me far more likely to use them on mixed terrain. I currently have two pairs of Kahtoola microspikes that I carry for mixed terrain conditions (one pretty new and the second beat to death). It would be nice to just put on the the Stabiliicers MAXX and not worry about wearing out the cleats versus switching out my microspikes when rocks are exposed.

Thank for putting that suggestion out there. The only Stabilicers I have carried are the previous models that I find along the trail ;)

Be well,

Z :D

That's them alright. I've had them for several years and have never had a problem.

Might have been useful yesterday on Bigelow Wet leaves, lots of wet bog bridges, dusting of snow. Spikes would have torn up roots and collectèd leaves. Bare boots were ok but slow. Stabilicers too heavy, yaktrax too fragile.

This is what I am using: http://www.rei.com/product/806475/icetrekkers-diamond-grip-traction-system

I used on Shelburne Moriah yesterday and they were fantastic. All the bog bridges had side slope, bowed under foot and had considerable incline and a glaze of ice. Lot of wet ledge, icy scrambles, etc. Very impressed. Another big plus is they do not pick up any debris at all - wet leaves, sticks, mud, etc. Gave them a real test yesterday over most of the hike (roughly 8 miles). They are not great on true ice and significant slopes (but neither are bare boots). My only minor complaint is the rubber that holds them on has a heel grab loop for easy on/off that can actually hook on branches and roots. I actually pulled one off my foot yesterday, but it came off cleanly and didn't throw me off balance. So I suppose on trails with tons of tree roots a little caution would be in order.

These may become a summer season item in my pack as well as the shoulder seasons. Trails with wet mossy rocks, lot of pine needles and other traction issues would all be easier with these. My only curiosity now is how fast they wear out and lose grip.

Last edited: