Snow tire season again in the whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I drove up from Mass last evening (Tuesday)and hit flurries in Franconia notch and light snow along RT 3 to Twin Mtn. It was nuisance up to the turn off RT3 onto RT 115 but it got "greasy" in a few spots on 115 as I approached RT2. An overtaking jeep almost went for a ride in the ditch at one point, he figured it out and backed off. Despite warm day time temps what is forecast for rain elsewhere could be solid up north from now on overnight.

Contrary to popular belief all season tires are a scam for flatlanders, no substitute for careful driving and real live snow and ice tires. ;)

Ain't that the truth! I was introduced to black ice about 20 years ago on the Kanc. Beautiful day in the 30's and just starting to get in the shade as we left Lincoln heading to Conway. I followed a very slow driver for an eternity up and over from Lincoln on what seemed like slightly wet, perfectly fine roads. Finally, at a very lengthy straightaway with no cars in sight I eased out in my truck to pass and proceeded to spin around in several circles until finally going tailgate first into the snowbank on the opposite side of the road. Was fortunate no one was hurt and damage to truck was minor. I did get a flat tire though and while attempting to change I couldn't even stand up on the pavement it was so slick. I fell down half a dozen times changing the tire.

My driving habits now are very, very different when I drive in Winter now.

Cooper Arctic Claws on my Subaru Forester. When I hit a snowbank it is usually because I was driving too fast:rolleyes:

Driving in snow and ice is probably 70% ability and 30% equipment. Lowes towing in Randolph usually pays off the tow trucks the first few storms of the season hauling high end SUVs out of the ditch.

Wait just a minute. Everybody knows that if you have AWD drive, especially an SUV, you can drive as fast as you want in all conditions with no worries whatsoever...:D

Nokian Haakapelitas for me since they were first recommended on this forum a few years ago. I don't have them on yet but I'm hoping I can squeeze in somewhere tomorrow to have them put on.

Wait just a minute. Everybody knows that if you have AWD drive, especially an SUV, you can drive as fast as you want in all conditions with no worries whatsoever...:D

All that technology does allows folks to go fast, its the stopping that's the problem. Its also real impressive when the SUVs go off the road on the length of the trench they plow.

Aye, peakbagger. The great thing about 4WD is it enables you to get hopelessly stuck much further from help than 2WD does. I imagine this is part of the attraction of rigging your truck to go mudding and then go with your friends so you can rescue each other. All good clean fun 'cept for the erosion you cause...

Oh well, this is a hiking forum after all.