Sandwich Dome via Sandwich and Drakes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichS

Reaction score
Choices, choices. Hike Saturday in the 30s with a ceiling supposedly at 4200', or Sunday in the 20s with clear skies.
I don't like cold, so Saturday it is. Up Sandwich Mtn Trail, visit Jennings Peak, on to Sandwich Dome, down Drakes Brook Trail, back up the other side to Fletcher's Cascades.
A good plan, but the ceiling ended up below 3500' when it mattered. :)
Sandwich Mtn Trail was nice: few blowdowns, no mud.
Jennings Peak was socked in. You could see feet in all directions!
Sandwich summit the same. Chatted with a hiker from MetroWest via the Berkshires.
Drakes Brook Trail was fine up high but muddy in the flats. The brook crossing would have been challenging without the pair of walking sticks someone left. For an out-and-back, stick with Sandwich Mtn.
Fletcher Cascade Trail goes on forever. If I were king, the crossing would be at 1800' rather than 1540', so the side trip is much shorter. I was hoping the cascades were worth it and they actually were - a tiered cascade on top, and a loooong flow over wide ledges below.
Saw a total of seven people. The only ice, interestingly enough, was in the first five minutes down low on Sandwich Mtn Trail. Microspikes remained in the backpack.
11.0 miles, 3500'