Hiking Pants

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhobbs

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a company that sells hiking pants, more specifically, soft shell pants, for fat hikers? With all the hiking I've done, I should have lost weight but I haven't. I need size 42 pants and I seem to have trouble finding them. EMS doesn't sell anything over 38" waist. I've seen 42" summer pants at REI, but I can't find any soft shell pants for winter. Even 42" summer pants can be hard to find. I'm going to make a trek down to REI just in case they have something that is not on the web site.

I need to go on a diet. :-(

Anyway, if any of you have any good suggestions please let me know.

mike

Can anyone recommend a company that sells hiking pants, more specifically, soft shell pants, for fat hikers? With all the hiking I've done, I should have lost weight but I haven't. I need size 42 pants and I seem to have trouble finding them. EMS doesn't sell anything over 38" waist. I've seen 42" summer pants at REI, but I can't find any soft shell pants for winter. Even 42" summer pants can be hard to find. I'm going to make a trek down to REI just in case they have something that is not on the web site.

I need to go on a diet. :-(

Anyway, if any of you have any good suggestions please let me know.

mike

Try looking at Columbia. Avoid Outdoor Research.

And you may have not lost weight because your body is building muscle mass as you hike..stay with it.

I think the models they use for men's clothing are 6'6 and 95 lbs. When I was searching for a medium nothing worked but did find a perfect fitting pants by North Face (both zipper and winter styles) which had size options by waist and inseam. LLbean is also a possibility. Patagonia? Mountain hardware?

Next option is the cross training one. Look at ski pants or hunters' pants that could serve the same need but perhaps sized for different demographics.

Final option would be to get the best fit you can and bring them to a tailor

You may need to look around for clothing sold for outdoor work. If you look at the oil patch workers, they need to stay warm and many of the workers are very large frame. They are looking for warm clothes that they can work in all day.

I have what I consider an excellent pair of Alpine hiking pants from Core Concepts. I believe they are 42 (XL). I bought them larger than I needed and in the past year I also lost a lot of weight so now they are way too big for me. If you have difficulty finding a pair then send me a PM and I will send you these. If you like them, send me $60. If you don't like them, send them back to me.

The pants are excellent. I own their Bibs are my favorite pants and both my son and wife have similar pants from Core Concepts and they love the way they look and function.

I have what I consider an excellent pair of Alpine hiking pants from Core Concepts. I believe they are 42 (XL). I bought them larger than I needed and in the past year I also lost a lot of weight so now they are way too big for me. If you have difficulty finding a pair then send me a PM and I will send you these. If you like them, send me $60. If you don't like them, send them back to me.

The pants are excellent. I own their Bibs are my favorite pants and both my son and wife have similar pants from Core Concepts and they love the way they look and function.

I may just take you up on that. Let me get back to you. I'm going to make a trip to REI probably tomorrow, if they don't have anything I will contact you.
What is the length on them? I'm a 42 waist and 30 length.

hmm. I don't really know what the length is on them but I will take a peek tonight when I get home.

I am a big fan of the 60/40 poly cotton blend cargo pants made by Dickie. The cargo pockets are very useful. The fabric is next to indestructible and the price is right. I use these pants all four seasons. They breath well and dry really quickly. I have been winter hiking, camping and peak bagging for thirty five years, have used many of the pants specifically designed for hiking and have found none that perform as well as these. I know, I know, I know......no cotton in winter. Most rules have exceptions and I think that the way the poly and cotton blend interact create a fabric that actually dries faster and wicks better than any other hi-tech fabric I have used. Criticism of these pants will be by those who have not tried them, those who have given them a fair test, use them. They also make a lighter weight "janitors pants" of the same blend that are excellent three season pants on trail. If I'm anticipating a gnarly bushwhack I use the cargo pants for the high degree of protection they offer. They are literally indestructible.

I am a big fan of the 60/40 poly cotton blend cargo pants made by Dickie. The cargo pockets are very useful. The fabric is next to indestructible and the price is right. I use these pants all four seasons. They breath well and dry really quickly. I have been winter hiking, camping and peak bagging for thirty five years, have used many of the pants specifically designed for hiking and have found none that perform as well as these. I know, I know, I know......no cotton in winter. Most rules have exceptions and I think that the way the poly and cotton blend interact create a fabric that actually dries faster and wicks better than any other hi-tech fabric I have used. Criticism of these pants will be by those who have not tried them, those who have given them a fair test, use them. They also make a lighter weight "janitors pants" of the same blend that are excellent three season pants on trail. If I'm anticipating a gnarly bushwhack I use the cargo pants for the high degree of protection they offer. They are literally indestructible.

I use the same fabric for a long sleeve hiking shirt - 3 and 4 season with different skin layers. I can attest to the durability when bushwhacking.

I've been hiking in summer weight pants all year round. With long underwear in the winter, I also have a couple of pair of 1997 vintage EMS lined pants. I can attest to ski pants either bigger but they are more like hard shells. I did pick up a pair of BSA Venturing leader pants made of rip stop Nylon that look promising but I have not worn them yet. BSA leaders aren't all fit so they have some larger sizes.

We are all different,, I've always bee surprised at the numbers I see out wearing the outer shell wear like it's a uniform. I run so warm that if I'm in hard shell jacket and pants, the weather has turned ugly & everyone under 190 pounds are being blown around. Last time I wore the G-tex pants was shoveling last weekend & going for a mile walk in the worst part of Connecticut's weather during the storm.