nordic sking--anywhere?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carla

Reaction score
Hello New Hampshire and other friends--I know it's early days yet for this winer, but I'd love to hear some reports tomorrow and Weds after the incoming snow storm. Please let us know of any skiable snow in your 'hood--either groomed trails or backcountry. Thank you!

From past years, here's my prediction for backcountry XC after the Tues storm: anything relatively flat with few waterbars/drainages will be in play. I would think the East Side Trail (out of Lincoln Woods) as far as the Wilderness boundary would be good; Zealand Rd will also be good. Any other forest roads will be fine. My guess is that anything else will need a few snow event cycles for a good base. Backcountry downhill might need another storm cycle but I'm probably going to have a look around Wed or Thurs :)

From past years, here's my prediction for backcountry XC after the Tues storm: anything relatively flat with few waterbars/drainages will be in play. I would think the East Side Trail (out of Lincoln Woods) as far as the Wilderness boundary would be good; Zealand Rd will also be good. Any other forest roads will be fine. My guess is that anything else will need a few snow event cycles for a good base. Backcountry downhill might need another storm cycle but I'm probably going to have a look around Wed or Thurs :)

Thanks Becca! Looking forward to your recon! ; )

Just reporting back-- I skiied at Great Glen trails yesterday, across from Wildcat. There was definitely enough snow to cover the trails--and the grooming team there did a good job on opening things up. Snow was slick, hard, icing over, but certainly good to get out and shake out some muscles. Nice ski area, but a bit limited in terms of size/scale. It can be completely skied in only a couple of hours. Crossing fingers for more snow, and down further south (Waterville etc) soon...

The Ellis River Trail was open yesterday at Jackson XC and in decent shape. This morning, better yet, because free and solitary, were miles of trails through the Freedom Town Forest, Burke Town Forest in Madison and Ossipee Pine Barrens, which are contiguous. The few XC'ers who had preceded me left perfect tracks through the slightly crusty cover, which was smooth and fast.

Ski condix, a month-ish since my original query

Bumping this up again--anyone had good experiences with back country touring this past week? skiable up to Zealand Hut, eg? Lincoln Woods trail, Wilderness trail, East Side trail, that kind of thing? Thank you!

--Carla

I hiked to Owl's Head on Saturday and there is reasonable coverage on Lincoln Woods Trail, and it wasn't too icy. There is not much snow out there. Waterville Nordic says 8" in the woods and 3" on the trails. Not enough to groom with the Pisten Bully, except on Tripoli Road.

Tim

Thanks Tim--really hoping for just a few inches of new snow to freshen this up. I was in Waterville last weekend and it was quite decent on the north side. Tripoli and other trails on that side. But no new snow since then...ugh....only so much the ski areas can do with the same old snow, plus warm/freeze/harden. Oh well...keep hoping for more!

The Mt Cardigan (lodge side) XC ski trails looked terrific. I skinned up the lower ones to get to the more down mountain trails last Saturday. Coverage was excellent.

Not New Hampshire, but the Catamount in southern VT is skiing very well, given the limited snow. There is a solid base of frozen rain-soaked snow with 4" or so of powder on top (at least as of Jan 25). You can actually ski off-trail where you would normally need 2' of cover.