Mt Mansfield Hut Burns

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are additional details in the state police press release. http://vtstatepolice.blogspot.com/2015/12/press-release_29.html
I hope I don't sound too sharp by saying the fire was caused by stupidity.

Quote:
The fire was caused due to the occupants renting the facility bringing in wood from an outdoor shed nearby at approximately 2:15 PM on 12/23/15. The wood was wet and needed to be dried before burning. Once the metal woodstove was burning the wet fire wood was stacked next to it, some if it actually leaning on the stove itself, to dry. The door to the stove was propped open slightly with another piece of wood in an attempt to keep the stove drafting. The occupants intended to keep the Stone Hut warm for a family friend who was supposed to arrive later that afternoon to spend the night. The occupants left the stove burning, locked the door, and left the mountain at 2:45 PM on 12/23/15.
Endquote

There are additional details in the state police press release. http://vtstatepolice.blogspot.com/2015/12/press-release_29.html
I hope I don't sound too sharp by saying the fire was caused by stupidity.

Quote:
The fire was caused due to the occupants renting the facility bringing in wood from an outdoor shed nearby at approximately 2:15 PM on 12/23/15. The wood was wet and needed to be dried before burning. Once the metal woodstove was burning the wet fire wood was stacked next to it, some if it actually leaning on the stove itself, to dry. The door to the stove was propped open slightly with another piece of wood in an attempt to keep the stove drafting. The occupants intended to keep the Stone Hut warm for a family friend who was supposed to arrive later that afternoon to spend the night. The occupants left the stove burning, locked the door, and left the mountain at 2:45 PM on 12/23/15.
Endquote

Its very accessible from Rt 108 (the road that goes through Smuggler's Notch) on the Long Trail, even more so if the road is not closed and covered with deep snow, as I recall. So the assumption is that it is would not be treated with the same degree of care as experienced hikers would give to a lean-to. Maybe GMC will assist in rebuilding. Might be some volunteer opportunities coming up.

This is why we can't have nice things (like a stove in the Cabot Cabin). Part of me wonders if the firefighters could have used a snow gun to fight the flames. I'm not it's not practical, but it's a fun visual in my mind.

The word "bonehead" was recently tossed around in another thread where I believe it did not apply.
While not prone to name calling, I think perhaps it might apply here.