Hair ice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jniehof

Reaction score
This is a pretty cool phenomenon that I hadn't come across before. It's featured in this month's Physics Today, but sadly subscriber only. Wikipedia has nifty photos, though. Take a look...it's wild, and I can't effectively describe it.

Anybody come across it in the woods?

I think I have seen that before. Sadly I did not care enough to photograph it. :-(

Can't find them now, but Tom and Laurie Rankin posted or "liked" pics recently from a Catskills hike.
Theirs look exactly like those in the Wikipedia link.

Looks similar to needle ice https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Needle_ice which I have seen many times.

The key difference seems to be that hair ice grows from damp dead wood and needle ice grows from damp soil. Both produce long thin crystals.

Doug

That was my thought too. I do see that fairly often. Can't say I've ever seen it that fine and curly though like the Wiki photos.

Hair ice found on Lonesome Lake Trail
23708015879_50a04c0513.jpg

I've often seen needle ice (which I called extruded ice, until today). Here's a hairy example on the Tully Trail last New Year's Day. If I ever saw hair ice, I'd surely photograph it. From the same hike is something I call contour ice, because it looks like a contour map, perhaps due to repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
1501011300W07ContourIce.jpg1501011326W11ExtrudedIce.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, we did see 3 examples of wood ice recently, never having seen it before this fall! The ground kind we see all the time.