Presidential Traverse - 2016-01-08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Friday, as many of the readers already know, was a "Presie Day", as is often the case in the day before a winter storm. Thursday, Whitney ("Tip Toe") let me know she and Kyle were planning to traverse and was I interested. Of course I was interested... the problem was the short notice. Things obviously worked out and I pedaled home from work, ate dinner, packed, and headed to the Highland center to leave a car. Spent the night in Gorham, and departed Appalachia at 6:45am Friday.

IMG_7771.JPG

Madison - Gryffin and Whitney "Tip Toe"

Conditions were very fast. Minimal snow and packed trails meant microspikes were sufficient. Like everybody else, we left snowshoes at home. The packed snow was also very good for doggie paws as there was little or no snowballing. Perfect conditions for my first winter PT and Gryffin's first ever PT. Last winter, he did 14 peaks to bring his winter total to 16. Today, we'd increase the count to 23.

IMG_7784.JPG

Madison - From Adams. In the distance, you can see the approaching undercast

The forecast was spot on - high 20s/low 30s with winds light and variable. Ascending Adams and Jefferson, I found myself down to a short-sleeve base layer. Gryffin found a few open trickles to drink from all day, and supplemented his hydration needs by eating snow and ice. Funny how much he loves chewing ice cubes, so he is right at home in the winter conditions.

IMG_7781.JPG

Adams - Looking forward to Jefferson

Madison was very bony and we ended up taking off microspikes as there was plenty of snow and ice free rock to step on. Adams was more filled in and slicker and I wore spikes from here back to the Highland Center. Gotta love sitting on top of Adams in winter in a T-shirt in January. I've done it twice before, but both times in March.

IMG_7794.JPG

Ascending Jefferson

Crossing the snowfields through Edmand's col gave Gryffin pause. Maybe he wanted to roll down the hill, or maybe he was concerned for the safety of his humans. Either way, we all made it across without issue, and wound our way up the Jefferson Loop. Here we passed our occasional companions for the day thus far (Bill & Jake). After a short chat, we set off across Monticello Lawn bound for Sphyx Col and thence Mount Clay. On the way down, we bumped into Ian and Marlie, and Baxter and Baxter's Mom.

IMG_7797.JPG

Jefferson

IMG_7799.JPG

Looking back to Adams

IMG_7818.JPG

Between the two lobes on Clay

I love Mount Clay. It tends to collect more snow than the other Northern Peaks, and the wind sculptures, while small, were still beautiful. You get a unique view into the Great Gulf from the summit, and it adds only a minimally amount of distance and elevation gain so it's entirely worth it. From Clay, we picked up the Gulfside and then ascended along the Cog tracks, bumping into Hiker Ed, Waumbek and some other familiar faces. Further up, we ran into others, including Theresa, a guest of a friend who had been to Gryffin's 48 finish on the Bonds last winter. Seems we knew someone in every group.

IMG_7821.JPG

Do I need to caption this? ;)

On Washington, we ran into some of the OBS staff, including a friend of Tip Toe's, who came out and chatted while we ate and watched the undercast begin spilling over the lower southern peaks. It looks like we'd make it over Monroe before it disappeared, but Eisenhower was looking like it would be socked in when we got there (and it was.)

IMG_7828.JPG

Undercast is here

IMG_7831.JPG

Monroe / Lake of the Clouds

Between Monroe and Franklin, the clouds and wind settled upon us and the jackets and face protection came out. Still pretty mild by Presidential standards, Eisenhower left us a bit exposed and there was no reason to linger, other than a quick regrouping in the lee of the cairn. We made it to Pierce where we put on our headlamps for the quick descent down the well-packed Crawford Path and back to the Highland Center.

All Photos

Tim

Like you said, I think there was a faimiliar face or name in each group I passed. I was going to ask if you brought water mixed with soup broth for Griffin. Marlie didn't drink anything until we were back at the car, just licked snow all day.

I was going to ask if you brought water mixed with soup broth for Griffin. Marlie didn't drink anything until we were back at the car, just licked snow all day.

No, I did not. That often does the trick, but he seems to do fine eating ice/snow. In fact, he ate like 10 icicles on Washington while we were chatting with Whitney's friend at the OBS.

Tim