NH F&G TV show - North woods law goes west

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I expect its highly likely that anyone that's gets rescued in the state is fair game.

Because Lord knows when you're trying to pull off a backcountry evac nothing helps like having a TV camera stuck in your face. I hope PVSART, AVSAR, MRS, et al put their foot down.

$2000 per episode does not seem worth the hassle. The funds don't go directly to the state, but go to the Wildlife Heritage Fund, which is a non-profit organization created to support F&G activities and other agency supported projects. Money from this fund can not be used to help pay agency personnel costs.

I expect its strictly a PR thing. Hard to cut the budget for a department in the news. Probably new trucks and gear will appear as the state wont want to have the officers look like they are underequipped.

Maybe the state expects that the payoff will be in less SAR as a result of a general public better informed about the consequences of getting in over their heads in the mountains.

I for one cannot wait to see the show. I did watch North Woods Law Maine for awhile, but frankly it got boring. How many times can you watch some hick get busted for jacking deer? Having the footage done where I hike, will really add to my interest. I think it's a great way to promote the Fish and Game myself. I also think people witnessing recues will be much more of an eye opener then those placards at the trailheads. It will give inexperienced people a look at the dark side:eek: of mountain tramping if your careless.

How many times can you watch some hick get busted for jacking deer?

Ha! Funniest line of 2016. :)

Whatever it does positively or negatively for S&R, it will likely show a number of people the ruggedness and beauty of the Whites and could increase visitation. I don't know how many people out there know just how great our mountains here are. This could open a few eyes to that. Of course, it may have a rather small effect as well, so I'll temper that a bit.

I do think it's good to highlight what S&R does including F&G, USFS, and of course the volunteers, although I think a documentary would very likely be a better route for a more accurate and less "dramatic" show. I'm certainly interested to see it though and I haven't seen a television show in 5 years other than in a few bits and pieces!

The challenge is these are low budget shows with young crews with a lot of unpaid interns hoping to make the big time. There are many situations that are easy to film and "idiots jacking deer" are a lot easier to film than a wintertime mountain rescue. Sure the whites will get occasional attention (as long as the F&G officer shows well on camera) but I expect the larger bulk of the show will be going after yahoos with power boats in the lake region or if it does get into hiking, it will be lost hikers, car break ins and easy rescues. Inevitably all the footage is heavily edited and on occasion the narrator is just plain wrong on his facts.

The challenge is these are low budget shows with young crews with a lot of unpaid interns hoping to make the big time. There are many situations that are easy to film and "idiots jacking deer" are a lot easier to film than a wintertime mountain rescue. Sure the whites will get occasional attention (as long as the F&G officer shows well on camera) but I expect the larger bulk of the show will be going after yahoos with power boats in the lake region or if it does get into hiking, it will be lost hikers, car break ins and easy rescues. Inevitably all the footage is heavily edited and on occasion the narrator is just plain wrong on his facts.

Has anyone seen any of these shows? The ones that I have flipped by are full of incredible exaggeration (the narrator will be shouting as if he on a cell phone) to keep people from channel surfing. Facts won't be in; it will be all drama.

A key to the journalism-entertainment complex is, "Who needs truth if its dull?"