Eagle Cliff 1/18/16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
Brought an arsenal of gear and safety stuff because it was like 10 degrees and snowing in Franconia yesterday. Took the Greenleaf trail up to the notch between Eagle Cliff and lower Lafayette. This notch reminded me of the Mahoosuc notch in a way - really craggy with tons of boulder fall. The snow blows into the notch and had accumulated to 3 feet waist deep in places. I read that the best way is to whack up the back of Eagle Cliff once you get into the notch. Well, I ended up going more from the south than the back and I paid for it. Insane Class 5 bushwhack the entire way. It took me an hour and 20 minutes to advance 3/10s of a mile. The conifers shed massive amounts of snow onto me and were nearly impossibly thick. In fact, I had to crawl a huge part of the way beneath all the branches on my elbows, because that proved to be the better alternative. I hit cliffs and ledges that were unsurpassed in awfulness. Extremely difficult to scale, but I finally made it. I got to the top and found the canister - however it was frozen shut. Couldn't see much of Cannon since it was snowing, but I could see a bit and it was awesome. The whack back down was much easier since I retraced my steps and all of the snow had been shed from the conifer branches on the way up. It was excruciating and exhausting. Hardest bushwhack I have ever done despite having done some of the Sawtooths. Fortunately I stayed warm since I brought plentiful warm gear and extra everything.

Had to go through this, unsurpassed in awfulness:
24401510421_615b646866_z.jpg

View across towards Cannon:
23855723274_7358699630_z.jpg

Canister frozen shut. Just happy I made it:
23855710034_6de8fbb6b0_z.jpg

I haven't done it yet, but doesn't the herd path / climber's trail that departs from Greenleaf Trail also lead to the summit? Or is it just to another part of the ridge?

I was under the impression that most ascents of Eagle Cliff are from the north via the Gallen Memorial parking lot.

I didn't see any evidence of a herd trail from the Greenleaf side until I got nearly to the canister. However, I think I went totally the wrong way and didn't go to the back of the Eagle Cliff enough, but instead ventured too much towards the south side, hence insane cliffs, ledges and conifers. Plus it was snowing and there was tons of snow up there. I am sure there is an easier approach, I just certainly did not take it.
As for approaching from the north via Gallen parking lot, I have never heard that.
I thought Eagle Cliff was an awesome peak though.

When I climbed it many (15?) years ago, there was a herd path. Your account makes for much better reading though. :D Really neat mountain, eh?