dual purpuse boot

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KV

Reaction score
I have Fisher back country skis, randonnee bindings and old school Koflach boots. I am looking for a lighter multi-purpose boot to fit the bindings so I don't have to schlep hiking boots for when I stash my skis and start hiking. Boots are great while on the skis, not so much when hiking.

Any ideas?

I have had decent luck using heavier XC ski boots for snowshoeing and XC skis. They do not work well (for me) when barebooting. So, I have carried snowshoes when I have XC skied into a 4K trailhead. I have used well-insulated NNN-BC boots but then switched boots/skis/bindings over to well-insulated leather (3-pin compatible) XC ski boots for peaks such as any of the more remote (like the Bonds) ones. I found 3-pin FAR easier to de-ice and much more reliable than NNN-BC. They worked well. The duckbill was fine with my MSR snowshoes.

(Actually, nowadays I rarely XC ski or hike winter 4k's because I splitboard or snowshoe in well-insulated backcountry snowboard boots and carry a board if it's a LOT steeper.)

Last edited:
Becca, I am not hoping to use my XC set-up on the trails. I do have heavier duty, well-insulated Atomic XC boots but there is no way I am that skilled to even consider taking those skis on the trails. I need the toe and heel ledge for my current bc bindings. Don't want to switch everything over so hoping to find lighter boots. I know I've seen them but cannot find what I'm looking for right now....of course. :( Thank you for your input though.

Long ago I was going to install NNNBC bindings on a pair of snowshoes and make up a pair of crampons with NNN BC bindings. I eventually figured out that I just plain didn't have the skiing skills to make it worth spending a lot of time on it.

Long ago I was going to install NNNBC bindings on a pair of snowshoes and make up a pair of crampons with NNN BC bindings. I eventually figured out that I just plain didn't have the skiing skills to make it worth spending a lot of time on it.
HA! Nor do I. I can, however, adequately control my back country fishers with their wider base and metal edges. The boots are a killer though. I have been just lugging my hiking boots but am looking for a viable alternative to do double duty. It's not even the extra weight. It's the hassle of changing boots.

Becca, I am not hoping to use my XC set-up on the trails. I do have heavier duty, well-insulated Atomic XC boots but there is no way I am that skilled to even consider taking those skis on the trails. I need the toe and heel ledge for my current bc bindings. Don't want to switch everything over so hoping to find lighter boots. I know I've seen them but cannot find what I'm looking for right now....of course. :( Thank you for your input though.

OK - :) it's not clear what you're planning to do - I used the skis to ski the flat approaches such as Lincoln woods, Sawyer road, Zealand Road, etc that are flat. (if good snow, you can go higher, but, just skiing the approaches is what I did mostly). Then, I snowshoed up from there. What exactly are you planning to ski?????

Last edited:
My Asolo Snowfield II's (medium weight, 3-pin) are comfortable for both skiing and walking/light hiking. While I haven't used them with snowshoes, a friend has with good results.

Doug

I have Fisher back country skis, randonnee bindings and old school Koflach boots.
Any ideas?

I've a similar ski set-up and have done a lot of winter hiking/mountaineering in double plastic koflachs.
Try the koflachs again with both the inners and outers laced as loose as possible.
They'll feel like heavy, warm slippers.

What boots are you changing into? Any chance you can find some bindings that work with those and continue to use the same skis? I have a very well-worn pair of leather Galibier double boots that I've been using many years for the same purpose. I use an old-school Silvretta cable binding (mounted on a pair of Lovett mt. skis!) that works well with those boots but would probably work as well with my single Limmers (not sure I'd want to be above treeline in the winter in single layer boots). I think you can still find these type of cable bindings from army surplus outlets since they were in use by the US ski troops for quite a number of years. See here: http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/outdoor-camping-gear/snowshoes-ski-gear/telemark-backcountry-ski-bindings.html On the other hand if the type of boot you are changing into is a Sorel-type pac these cable bindings would not work. For boots like that go with the Berwin: http://www.akers-ski.com/product/37B8.html

In any case, if you are currently changing into a second pair of boots for the ascent, ditch the Koflach set-up and try to set your skis up to go with the boots you like to hike in. I can't imagine you'd be giving up too much on the ski side, especially if what you are doing mostly is a kick and glide on a long flatish approach to get yourself to where the trail steepens and then stashing the skis.

Last edited: