Moosilauke

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sikes

Reaction score
Trying to decide what to hike this weekend. We have only done 7 of the winter 48 and trying to do some more. It's harder in winter with school interfering. Anyway....I have done Moosilauke in the winter before but can't remember the trail. What is the best way up in the winter...and where can you park?

Trying to decide what to hike this weekend. We have only done 7 of the winter 48 and trying to do some more. It's harder in winter with school interfering. Anyway....I have done Moosilauke in the winter before but can't remember the trail. What is the best way up in the winter...and where can you park?

The Glencliff trail is a popular and very reasonable route in the winter. I just watched a video of an ascent via the Glencliff trail and it's packed out and in great shape right now. The Gorge Brook trail is another option. The GB trail is a really nice route with a moderate incline, the only glitch is the Lodge road is closed and adds about ( going from memory) about 3 miles or so of a road walk. I love the Beaver Brook trail myself, but it is steeper then the other two routes and passes cascades on the climb up, sometimes this route can be icy, crampons are sometimes safer on the BBT. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input.

I've done Beaver Brook a few times and didn't really want to take that way up because I was concerned about the ice and Matthew slipping.

I was concerned about parking on the other trails. I remember a parking lot years ago when I did it I the winter but not much else. I did read your trip report Rainman. Thank you.

Last edited:
Have done Beaver Brook and The Carriage Road in winter. I think the latter is a great route.

P3170044.JPG

In winter I've done Asquam Ridge, Gorge Brook, Glencliff, and Carriage Road. My rankings/thoughts are:

1.) Glencliff - Pros: No big walk-in/walkout; South Peak is an easy add-on; great consistent slope for sledding (not too steep or flat). Cons: Starts lower, so extra vertical
2.) Gorge Brook - Pros: Gentle grades, slightly less vertical than Glenncliff. Can be looped with Ridge/Merrill Loop or Carriage Road/Snapper Cons: Extra road walk each way
3.) Carriage Road - Prods: Likely first to be broken out by skiers; gentle grades; access to South Peak; lolipop-loop potential by Hurricane and either Snapper, Gorge Brook, or Ridge Cons: Have to contend with skiers, long walk-in/walkout
4.) Asquam Ridge (signed as 'Ridge' in some places) - Pros: Solitude, gentle slopes Cons: Likely unbroken from Merrill to Beaver Brook, long walk-in/walkout.

JustJoe, Always incredibly impressed that you have a picture of everywhere under discussion. Tuck

JustJoe, Always incredibly impressed that you have a picture of everywhere under discussion. Tuck

Agreed! And not just any old picture but huge, high resolution pictures. Awesome collection!

3.) Carriage Road - Prods: Likely first to be broken out by skiers; gentle grades; access to South Peak; lolipop-loop potential by Hurricane and either Snapper, Gorge Brook, or Ridge Cons: Have to contend with skiers, long walk-in/walkout.

The one time I did The Carriage Road in winter, we were able to park at Breezy Point. It was the last few days of winter in March. Is Breezy Point Rd. not normally plowed to that point in winter?

The one time I did The Carriage Road in winter, we were able to park at Breezy Point. It was the last few days of winter in March. Is Breezy Point Rd. not normally plowed to that point in winter?

It usually plowed to the last house on the road, sometimes just beyond. That gets you pretty close to the summer trailhead, maybe 1/4 mile at most.

i'm not sure i went up it last year, but, the year(s) before, the plow went up around that loop at the knoll at the trailhead (basically up to the trailhead sign at Breezy Point). I wouldn't count on it (that final 1/4 mile) being plowed (like many trailheads) right after a storm, though.