Longest you've driven for a hiking daytrip?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daytrip: I can tie that without the drive: My winter Bonds hike took 23 hrs, plus the drive up and back from RI - I'm not certain, but I don't think I stopped for any naps. http://1slowhiker.blogspot.com/2014_03_18_archive.html

If limited to 24 hrs, I think my longest distance single day hike without any trailhead naps is from RI to Mt Cabot (hiked Cabot , Bulge, Horn loop) 486 driving miles http://1slowhiker.blogspot.com/2012_12_06_archive.htm

From what I've seen of your posts we have pretty similar drive times from our respective locations. Definitely adds to the length of the day.....especially when I work the following day. :(

If I have to drive for more than three hours, I'm taking an extra day and enjoy myself. I dont like rushing around in the middle of the night, when I should be sleeping, and then being exhausted when I'm supposed to be enjoying myself. I Guess im a big baby that way. :)

404 miles RT to Sugarloaf ski resort to do it and Spaulding. Only to have to turn around halfway up Sugarloaf do to 95 mph gusts. 9 hours of driving for 2 hours of hiking. Not a fun day.

From what I've seen of your posts we have pretty similar drive times from our respective locations. Definitely adds to the length of the day....:(
Thankfully those long days are over for me - the drive home was getting too tough. My new routine is: drive up the afternoon before - Grab a bite to eat on the way up or in Lincoln - Park and sleep at least 4 hrs in my capped truck bed (2 sleeping bags) at my favorite TH ;) - get up early (1-3 am)- hike - drive home. Only real problem with this is that I hit commuter traffic through Boston on the way up (I typically hike weekdays). Last hike I took 495 beltway around Boston - 25 miles longer but might save time and saves aggravation.
.....especially when I work the following day. :(
Luckily I'm semi retired and don't typically have to work the next day.:D

422 miles each way from the Manchester/ Vernon CT town line to Baxter State Park. Round Trip travel and hiking was 22 hours. Left the health Club I played VB at 11:00 PM and returned to that club the following evening at 9:00.

After a full day of work & then driving, this was dumb. Does driving straight though include trying to sleep at a ME rest stop after finishing two liters of Mt. Dew? That was the drive up. Couldn't sleep & vibrate at the same time.

On the hike & the way back some Jolt & chocolate did not keep me from dozing for a moment while driving. Luckily, I realized it and got out of the truck for a few minutes and stretched. Having my gear in the back & it beginning to rain had me also thinking about the gear getting wet. That night I did get 12 1/2 hours of sleep.

The look on the rangers face when she asked where I started from that morning was priceless. I answered Manchester & she said, NH? When I said no, CT, she had the look of someone planning my rescue later in the day.

Again --- THIS TRIP WAS DUMB!!!:eek: (maybe the dumbest thing I've done in a car by myself while driving sober but I was of driving age in the 70's, it was different)

I'll still drive up from time to time for a day hike from New London County to the Whites or the ADK's but most of the time I'll go up the night before & stay at a hostel or a home of a friend.

The worst part of the day trips is the four hour ride back. Fueled by coffee and sugar, I'd make it back home, beat, tired and wired. (But it was fun!)

490 miles one way to Pinkham for a day hike to Jeff and Washington. Was supposed to be an overnite, but no campsites were available in Great Gulf so we just kept going... and going... and going... soaked our feet in a pool in Huntington Ravine (bliss)... showered at Joe Dodge... drove back home. I guess technically the drive home occurred on the second day.

I do it all the time....Southern Dutchess NY to most areas in the White's are 700 mile round trip on average. Leave at 330/4am and back home around midnight. I have a couple of longer trips ahead of me (Bonds is one) that I will spend the night before somewhere near the trailhead for an early start. The ride home can be lonnnnng! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ but a 30 min nap makes a big difference.