Current weather forecast and safe hiking for this week

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
The latest weather forecast for the NH high peaks (4000 Ftrs) predicts freezing rain and sleet changing over to rain for Wednesday. I would like to get out before this weekend, when colder weather will return, but am concerned about snow melt and high brook crossings. Can anyone suggest any 4's which do not involve potential difficult brook crossings. Much appreciated.

Waumbek and Starr King, Jackson via Webster Jackson, Pierce via Crawford Path. Kinsmans from Lonesome Lake, Cannon from High Cannon of KRT. Flume from Osseo, Lafayette out and Back from OBP assuming the brook reroute doesn't let loose just past the split to Falling Watesr, Willey from the south (but not from the Highland center). Middle and South Carter out and back via South Imp and Dodge short cut. Eisenhower from Crawford Path.

Those are the ones off the top of my head. Just be aware that many of the popular trails turn into streams during active run off as they are below the surrounding frozen terrain.

I was going to suggest Flume via Osseo as well, I was just up that way. No crossings, but there was ice lurking under the snow in the ladder sections. If the rain comes and then freezes, that might become more problematic.

Another thought: if you're out on a day that bodes to be wet, you may want to consider a route and destination that permits quick relief in the event that you perceive a hypothermia threat. No 4K meets this need better than Cannon. You have your choice of a very expeditious 2-mile hike via the Kinsman Ridge Trail, or a slightly longer route with a heated hut in the middle. And as if that weren't enough, there's a heated ski lodge on the summit, with food service. And if after re-warming in the lodge you simply don't relish being out in the cold and wet any further, you can ride the tram down.

Alex

Cannon is a great choice! I always have enjoyed the elements and I would love to see the long views of Webster Cliff Trail (crampons/micro spikes needed) in the inclement weather. I think that would be a good one. Its steep but the rewarded views are awesome (if the clouds are good to you). Your exposed but IMHO not anywhere like you are on the Presi's.