Twins from Little River Rd. 2/2/16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
BW from Little River Rd, N Twin Trail and N Twin Spur In &out to both Twins 2/3/16
Date of Hike: 2/3/16

End of Little River Rd plowed, only my truck today.

BW from Little River Rd, flooded and iced over, light traction highly recommended.

NT trail to last crossing (stayed on east side) comb of packed snow, rocks, tributaries easy to rock hop. I stepped through one snow bridge that looked solid but wasn’t.

Little River crossing: Ice bridged all the way across (at least that day), best place to cross seems to be directly between trail ends.
Trail below ledges: comb of rocks and packed snow - light traction or even bare boots. Above ledges: snow shoes could be worn but not needed – Didn’t see any sign of snow shoe tracks. I used micro spikes the whole trip but carried shoes :(
No deep or drifted snow on entire trip.

Blow-overs: Several easy step overs down low b4 crossing and one crawl under higher up after the crossing (difficult with full pack, only 4” diameter – could easily be sawed if I had one, or moved with 2-3 people)

Special Equipment Required: light traction, poles for testing ice at crossing

Comments: Day started out overcast with no views on the peaks. Sky cleared on my way down (of course). No other hikers on peak trails.