North Twin Bushwhack(alternative) from Little River Road

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1SlowHiker

Reaction score
I'm curious. Does the snowmobile road over the bridge, where the BW starts, end up at the summer trail head at the end of Haystack?
Does anyone know what the difference in distance would be. I ask because the BW is pretty much flooded and frozen (yesterday) and right now there would be no snowmobiles on the dirt road. I'm curious because I initially missed the BW entrance on the way back yesterday and walked down the road quite a bit before I realized it and turned around. Should I have just kept going?

I think I did a similar thing to you one time, but going the other way. It was at the beginning of the hike, if I remember right, we missed the BW entrance from Little River Rd. and ended up on Haystack Rd., but not at the summer parking for the North Twin Trail. We took a left, went up the road and ended up crossing the bridge and into the summer lot. On the way back, we saw the BW entrance right at the end of the bridge and took that back to Little River Rd.. I don't know what the difference in length between one BW and the other is, though. Visually, if returning to Little River Rd. from Haystack Rd., I can't remember where that dirt road/snowmobile trail would be on Haystack Rd.

I think I did a similar thing to you one time, but going the other way. It was at the beginning of the hike, if I remember right, we missed the BW entrance from Little River Rd.
I did that too :D on my first attempt of the Twins last march, but I realized it (only because I had a gps track) after 100 ft and back tracked to the BW

I think I did a similar thing to you one time, but going the other way. It was at the beginning of the hike, if I remember right, we missed the BW entrance from Little River Rd. and ended up on Haystack Rd., but not at the summer parking for the North Twin Trail. We took a left, went up the road and ended up crossing the bridge and into the summer lot. On the way back, we saw the BW entrance right at the end of the bridge and took that back to Little River Rd.. I don't know what the difference in length between one BW and the other is, though. Visually, if returning to Little River Rd. from Haystack Rd., I can't remember where that dirt road/snowmobile trail would be on Haystack Rd.

I did the same thing as you last year! Since the road was not heavily travelled and because of fresh snow, I found the road more difficult to use than taking the BW which is heavily travelled.

It comes out maybe 1/3 of a mile from the summer trailhead. I recall it being a bit of a walk.

Here are the two tracks. Green is the "BW" (former North Twin Trail) and pink is the snowmobile trail. The BW is about 0.9 miles and the snowmobile trail is about 1.1 miles.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Tim

Attachments

• twins1.jpg
    twins1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 276
  • twins2.jpg
    twins2.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
And if you miss the BW you'll likely end up taking the snowmobile trail on the way there. At least that's what I did. :)