South West Twin - FINAL Solo Winter Trailwright's Peak!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTNRUNR

Reaction score
After solo'ing Mount Guyot January 31st for my final TW winter peak, that left only SWT that I hadn't done solo.

On January 2nd, I joined Bruce Richards, Dorothy Covey & Greg Russell and we were able to summited SWT! This was Bruces final winter peak which placed him 5th for having completed all the peaks, and requirements, in winter! That hike convinced me I could never solo it!

I couldn't stop thinking that if I wasn't able to do it this winter with so little snow...

Checking the forecasts for awhile, yesterday looked like a good time. Not to cold and good weather for today also, in case something went wrong!?

I got up @ 2:30am and started hiking from Beaver Brook area @ 4:08. This is something big for me as I have a big fear of being alone in the dark!

At Galehead Hut the sun was coming up :)

I reached the start of the bushwhack @ 8:13! I had worn microspikes and carried crampons, knowing I wouldn't need snowshoes. About 20' after leaving the trail I postholed knee deep! Mostly I could walk on top. Well I came all this way and it is early so...

I headed a bit west before heading to the peak. Last time we pretty much just headed to the peak and had many areas to push through with some blowdowns and whack took 3 hours for 1.1 miles! I knew I couldn't do that! Only hope was to find a better way!

Luck was with me as the only really tough area was the band near the summit :)

I couldn't believe I'd made it! The summit area is sooo awesome with open woods!!! The whack took 2 hours and 5 minutes!

It wasn't cold but I was soaked. After changing from the waist up I took my time in this special spot :)

I usually don't bother with "signing in", but I wanted to this time and add Bruce, Dorothy & Greg's to the register for our January 2nd summit. I did that and also recorded my finish today...such an incredibly special occasion!

I had also worried about finding my way back with no snow...NOT a problem today!!! :) The sun even came out some on the way back making it extra special!!!

Got back to my car @ 3:25!!! That was 11 hours and 17 minutes! on the 2nd it took 13 hours! Had fully expected to finish about 10 pm, if successful, so how happy was I :p

swt 2-6-16 2.jpg

Huge Congrats, Fred. You successfully overcame self doubt. Is a second winter round in the works, having hiked SW Twin twice in winter. The trail work should be a little easier to accomplish. Also, thanks for signing us into the register.

Tim, the Trailwrights have authorized and designed a patch to acknowledge a winter completion. A firm has been selected to make them and we hope to have them available by this spring. The trail work requirements only have to be met once. We naturally encourage hikers to continue to perform trail work after the Trailwrights’ requirements have been met as the need is great, as those who have spent time on the trails must know. Many have done so.