Galehead and Garfield on 2/6/2016

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Galehead and Garfield on 2/6/2016

Up Galehead tagging along with RGoH group then solo to Garfield & down. Parked at Beaver Brook, hiked the XC ski trail shortcut out to the snowed in Gale River Road, thence up Gale River Trail etc. to Galehead and clockwise westerly to Garfield. Descended Mt. Garfield Trail most of the way down but near bottom took a snowmobile trail easterly an northerly to shortcut some of the road walk. Also buswhacked around the hairpin turn in the road. Ended where I began. About 1 of snow or less (really!) at low elevations to about ~6" depth on the ridge with some deeper drifts off trail but the trails were all packed ice. A thin veneer of new sticky snow made it a lot less slippery than it could have been but it'll be stomped or melted into ice again before very long. Water xings easy, low water, stepping stones but not frozen over. Summit of Garfield was mostly windswept rock.

Used my crampons at a tricky icy pitch on the ascent of Garfield east of Garfield Trail junc. and was glad I had brought them. Had I been descending that would have been even more true. Bare boots at low elevations, microspikes the rest of the way. I did not carry or need snowshoes.

Passed 4 individuals on the ridge between the peaks. Passed an active campsite and fire on the Gale River Road.

Your name: Shoeless Paul

Your E-mail address: [email protected]