The twenty most dangerous hikes.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Washington need not be dangerous if you select the day and route carefully. I cannot understand why Angels Landing is on this list unless the real danger is heat stroke or dehydration; it is not especially a long hike and the last half mile or so is no more a danger than the Knife Edge, probably even less with the chain rails.

With regard to Pinatubo, lahars are not showers of volcanic debris, they are flows of water/ash/mud. They are super dangerous though.

Devil's Path surprised me as well. Rough and ledges galore for sure! most dangerous list??

I think I had read in a similar article last year that the length of the trail (was it 20-22 miles for the complete out an back??) combined with the roughness made for fatigue induced mishaps tripping on roots, etc. Never done it so I have no idea.

The devils path is not an out and back it's a shuttle with roads at the ends and a road crossing in the middle

Ah, the Devil's Path. Someone recently told an acquaintance that it was a deadly trail! :eek: Neither of us could find or remember a fatality on it going back many years. Is it tough? Yes. Rocky and steep most of its length, but lots of water and leantos (and roads nearby) along the way. Twisted Ankles? Sure. Icy as H@ll this winter! You bet! :eek: Remote? No.

It regularly shows up on lists like these. I'm not sure if this warns people off or attracts more people who think they can do it. We are very close to NY City, so we get all kinds.

Now if you said Kaaterskill falls trail I might believe it.
I think DEC should place a sign at Kaaterskill Falls that is appealing to visitor's imagination, maybe something like this:
Kaaterskills Warning.jpg
I've seen similar signs at dangerous road crossings in Europe and it takes about a second to figure out what the sign says unlike any legalese that no one reads anyways.

It's good to have pictures in Europe, where people speak many different languages, but I agree, a 'funny' sign can convey a serious message.

I think DEC should place a sign at Kaaterskill Falls that is appealing to visitor's imagination, maybe something like this:
View attachment 5477
I've seen similar signs at dangerous road crossings in Europe and it takes about a second to figure out what the sign says unlike any legalese that no one reads anyways.
I just got back from Zion National Park and here is a sign I saw there meant specifically for hikers:
DSC08181.jpg

a 'funny' sign can convey a serious message.

Does anybody remember the original wording on the Grand Canyon "don't go to the river and back in a day" sign? It was something like "warning to the young and invincible." Its replacement, although much blander, is still an almost-obligatory selfie when starting the R2R2R.

Angels Landing

I was in the park (Zion), riding the Tram, when people got on...looking very very freaked out. They had just watched a man fall from Angles Landing to his death. It was creepy since I hiked it the day before. It is dangerous, yes.

Washington need not be dangerous if you select the day and route carefully. I cannot understand why Angels Landing is on this list unless the real danger is heat stroke or dehydration; it is not especially a long hike and the last half mile or so is no more a danger than the Knife Edge, probably even less with the chain rails.

I found Angle's Landing pretty terrifying due to all the people on it. Pretty hard to pass at certain sections. I bailed before the end.

We're headed to China in a couple of weeks and Hua Shan is on our list of places to visit. But I think we'll be avoiding the plank walkways! :eek: