Lincoln Woods, Bushwack, Owls head Brutus Base, Return via Franconia Brook 2/13/16

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
LW skiable, incredible open water flowing across road in mid February.

Needed Microspikes going up Black Pond for ice under snow, and where Lincoln Brook trail trespasses into the cut of the Brook.

Party of 3 skiers report LW, FB, Lincoln Brook skiable until Lincoln Brook trail gets close to the Brook. Skiing complicated by fallen limbs, and rocks and roots just under snow on LB.

Snow shoes unnecessary any where.

Many small Brooks flowing across trails, with soft bottoms, watch your step.

Water crossings, for your reference only, do not become emboldened by my comments. Well established paths across the major water crossings. In retrospect I should have removed my spikes when I heard the sound of hollow ice under my feet....had no idea what how far down lay water or rocks.

Temperature 16 Lincoln Woods, 5 at Bushwack/Lincoln Brook, 0 at Brutus, - 8 back at LW. Balaclava or face protection and something to clean frost off eyeglasses good, chapstick, etc. Noticed winds only at Black Pond.

Trail Activity.. 2 other solo hikers, 3 skiers went up Owls head via Brutus with Microspikes, Parties stated "somewhat slippery on way down." "High winds up there, could not stay long. Portions of the climb free of snow due to wind."

My car was last one in the parking lot.

Last edited: