Update on Mt Mansfield Lodge Fire

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:
$100K is a good start.. Considering this family's posture in the local community of Stowe a public apology would be better. This was a negligent act IMO. These kids knew better in spite of having spent a lot of time in this hut over the years. To hide away from the media in Austria to this point is just plain ignorant. Fessing up immediately would have done them much better. I've spoken with the locals in Stowe about this incident and believe me no one is happy about the situation.

$100K is a good start.. Considering this family's posture in the local community of Stowe a public apology would be better. This was a negligent act IMO. These kids knew better in spite of having spent a lot of time in this hut over the years. To hide away from the media in Austria to this point is just plain ignorant. Fessing up immediately would have done them much better. I've spoken with the locals in Stowe about this incident and believe me no one is happy about the situation.

Well, they admitted guilt, named their names, took responsibility, and offered $100K and more if it takes more to rebuild. The situation could have been much worse if the careless parties were not well-off.

I say look to the future. Alot of stuff can probably be flown in. Reconstruction could occur quickly.

Alot of stuff can probably be flown in. Reconstruction could occur quickly.

You can drive to this hut. Its close to the transmission towers and their support buildings. Is not off in the wilderness anymore, unlike when it was built.

Still there are many here who wonder why the long delay in admitting it. It took the local paper digging into this and pressing to finally get the story.

You can drive to this hut. Its close to the transmission towers and their support buildings. Is not off in the wilderness anymore, unlike when it was built.

Still there are many here who wonder why the long delay in admitting it. It took the local paper digging into this and pressing to finally get the story.

Hrmmmm has it moved since 1988?

The individuals are legal age, 26 and 19 and legally their parents don't need to bail them out (although morally and PR wise is another story). Conceivably they may not have a lot of assets on their own as they would be college age and not a lot of college age kids can get hold of 50K each. Therefore the state or insurance company (if one exists) may have been beating the proverbial dead horse to collect from someone with few assets as all they have to do is file bankruptcy to get clear of the bill.

Heck this way, the kids stay out of trouble and dad gets a tax write off and manages a PR disaster. It is interesting that the names of the perpetrators did not seem to come out for quite awhile. It would be interesting to see who actually wrote the check for the rental given that the father admits that he asked the sons to warm the place up. It implies that he may have written the check and thus would be held liable anyhow.

In case someone hits the paywall here is another link http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/...r-pledges-funds-for-cabin-burned-by-his-sons/

Last edited:
Hrmmmm has it moved since 1988?

Yup, it next to the toll road, at the top of the upper chair lift.

Think its been there since the 30's :)

Not to be confused with Butler and Taylor lodges, which are on the Long Trail. Butler is on the other side (west), Taylor is on the north end of the mtn

Last edited: