GPS School is In "102"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BISCUT

Reaction score
Class 101 wen't rather well. I figured better to start a new thread for class 102.

I'm looking to head out to get Owl's Head done (3 more left for my list!) next week. Today or tomorrow I am going to try (big trrry!) BaseCamp to map out the trails to Owl's head. This will be the first time. I saw some tutorials and will watch them. Any advice is welcome!

I have a GPS track of Owls Head I recorded in 2004.. from a Garmin I can send you so if you ever needed it to find or keep on the path...Or there might be other saved tracks out there one can get now on Owls Head. Not sure if the trail has changed since. Easy to email and load into the unit via Base Camp. You can have the track show or not in the menu settings.. But I was there and recorded the hike with my wife from Lincoln Woods.

I have a GPS track of Owls Head I recorded in 2004.. from a Garmin I can send you so if you ever needed it to find or keep on the path...Or there might be other saved tracks out there one can get now on Owls Head. Not sure if the trail has changed since. Easy to email and load into the unit via Base Camp. You can have the track show or not in the menu settings.. But I was there and recorded the hike with my wife from Lincoln Woods.

JACKPOT! I'm more than happy to take you up on your offer!

JACKPOT! I'm more than happy to take you up on your offer!

I got the email off to your gmail account with the track of OwlHead and a picture of the X showing the real summit marked by the usgs back when...

Last edited:
I see that a number of trails around Owl's Head are already marked on OpenStreetMap: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/44.1307/-71.6159&layers=C

You can get them onto your gps using the steps I outlined in this post: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?57608-Take-Me-To-GPS-School&p=431067&viewfull=1#post431067

I don't claim that these trails are 100% accurate as I haven't hiked Owl's Head but there are other folks on this forum who can say if marked paths on OSM appear to be in the right places. The advantage of downloading a map vs a gpx is that you get a lot more than just one way to get to the top.