4000 footers near Rumney

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherry

Reaction score
Hey all!

I have some friends that are going to do some climbing at Rumney. I don't climb so I was planning on trying to get some 4000 footers while they climb. Could someone please tell me which ones are close by? TIA.

The closest peak to get to from Rumney would be Mount Moosilauke; about 15 minutes. After that you are looking at a 45 minute drive to the others mentioned above.

Hey all!

I have some friends that are going to do some climbing at Rumney. I don't climb so I was planning on trying to get some 4000 footers while they climb. Could someone please tell me which ones are close by? TIA.

Serious suggestion, rather than going to bag a 4k, see if one of your friends will bring you up "Clip-a-dee-do-da", which is a classic slab climb at Rumney which is more of a walk than a climb.

Or, if you tire of big peaks, consider hiking Cardigan, which is wonderful, or the two smaller mountains right in Rumney: Rattlesnake, which is the mountain that the climbing cliffs are on, and Stinson, which is across the Stinson Lake Road to the east.

Rattlesnake has some nice views. It's not really a full day, but depending which cliff they're on you could meet your friends for lunch at the top of their climb.

Here's a map of nearby peaks (as the crow flies), not necessarily 4Ks but I've sorted the list on the left by elevation:
http://www.summitpost.org/object_li...ect_name&order_type_15=DESC&submit_query=+Go+

Moosilauke is an excellent 4K hike with many fine route options; among lower peaks, Cardigan is a classic, and consider also the Welch-Dickey loop which is spectacular and easy to drive to.

Is "clip-a-dee-do-da" the technical term lol. Definitely something I'd be interested in since I've been dying to try some slabs.

I also like that other idea of hanging out on the top & having lunch when done.

We'll be there for a weekend so I'll still have time to hit some 4ks. Thanks all for you great advice.

Last edited:
As a day trip, hiking around the climbers' trails at Rumney Rocks itself is quite attractive. There are many interesting sights such as scalloped/ overhanging cliffs huge boulders, and talus fields that you don't see everyday.