Study shows paper tape can help prevent foot blisters

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They needed a study for this?

Climbers have been using paper tape on their hands for decades.

Practically anything that can form a protective shield over the skin will work (e.g., a liner sock, as long as it doesn't bunch up), but some tapes are better than others. Some won't stick to skin, and some (duct tape is in this category) risk irritating the skin - either because the adhesive is caustic, or because the tape is non-porous, or both.

Somehow or other, I also thought this was well established...

FWIW, I've had better results with waterproof paper tape* than duct tape on my heel. My feet sweat a lot and the duct tape slid out of position--the paper tape stayed. Moleskin also slid, but it was old and the adhesive might have aged.
* I've been using Johnson & Johnson waterproof tape--I have no idea if any other brands are any better.

If the tape comes off, consider sticking it on with tincture of benzoin. Used by climbers, hikers, and doctors.

Doug

Last edited:
The other thing that surprised me is that 81 of 128 ultrarunners got blisters on parts of their feet with zero "blister history." The surprising part is that such areas exist on the feet of ultra-runners.

Doug, do you remember using the OLD/original Moleskin.
That stuff NEVER came off until you removed it.
Was not the same product in the last 20 or so years.
I may even still have some...

I went for many years without needing any (until recent new boots) so my supply aged as it racked up pack miles... Maybe when I tried it recently, I should have used tincture of benzoin. (And maybe I should start carrying it on the trail. Fortunately the medical tape still works.)

Doug

Last edited:
I use Leuko tape for my heels. It sticks for days.
As does my medical tape. I hike/walk in the woods several times a week so I just leave the tape in place on my heel for up to several weeks at a time. If I don't remove it, it will stay in place until the surface skin sloughs off.

Doug