Good Mud Season Trail Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dharma Bum

Reaction score
As has been discussed elsewhere in this forum, the Green Mtn Club and the State of Vermont ask hikers to stay off the trails until May 30. This ok for me because I can always resort to bushwhacking but last week I hiked with a friend and bushwhacking is not her thing. I checked out the Vermont State Parks website and they have a section on Mud Season hiking. One of the trails listed as "a great place to hike during mud season" is Mt. Ascutney. We hiked the 5.8 mile Weathersfield Trail. It's a great trail with interesting features, some steepness, and some ridge hiking leading to a fantastic summit with a tower and 360 views. It's also gravelly and dry. I've previously hiked the Windsor Trail on this mountain and it is also a good hike. So check out one of Vermont's finest mountains and the town of Windsor on the return - its an interesting place with many historic buildings and a decent pub.

Any other suggestions for mud season trail hikes?