"Gore-Tex Surround" for the sweaty-footed?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jniehof

Reaction score
I'm finally crawling through BP's "gear guide" issue and the "new thing" is "Gore-Tex surround" which (they claim) brings breathability to waterproof footweard. Here's Gore's blurb. Anybody have any experience with this? I've had just about zippo luck with WP footwear...Keen had an eVent based trail runner several years ago that was acceptable, but everything else I'm much happier just dealing.

(On a related note for those who stick with breathable over WP, it looks like REI found a bunch of the Vasque Mindbender in the basement...one of my fave trail shoes.)

Never heard of this, but according to the blurb, it's not new, having won an Outdoor award in 2014. GoreTex has always made this claim, and breathability, though improving in small increments over time, has always been drastically inferior to what's possible with non-waterproof gear. My guess would be that this is simply the latest increment, and that we shouldn't expect to be blown away with its performance.

Alex