The entire Devil's Path with a side trip to S.W Hunter 4-30

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hermit

Reaction score
Home-West Shokan N.Y.Avatar 35x12 Catskill grid pa
Entire Devil's Path with a side trip to Leavitt 26 miles almost 9000 ' vertical 4-30
Today, 12:14 PM
We picked a great day to do this hike. We met John and Charlie at Notch lake early in the a.m.. I rode with Rob and Linda to Notch lake where we also met Nick.We started the hike at Prediger rd. before sunrise and were able to enjoy hiking to the base of Indian Head with our headlamps on.On our way up Indian Head we watched a beautiful sunrise !The red trail had some slippery sections on our way to Twin. There was no snow or ice, but the rain the night before made the roots and rocks slippery.We enjoyed some very nice views from Twin. Sugarloaf had a few icy sections on the west side,but there was no problem skirting them.On our way up Plateau we met some H.V.H folks hiking the Eastern section of the Devil's Path. We also enjoyed some great views from Plateau.Nice dry conditions going down to Notch Lake where we finally met up with Danyelle,who was running late, and spent 6 hrs. trying to catch us.At Notch Lake we parted ways with some of the group and Rob-Linda-and I continued on our way up the red trail to the Devil's acre lean to which recently got a new roof.We took a side trip to South West Hunter to add a couple of miles to our trip.Someone is placing cairns and maintaining the herd path.No challenge to find the canister from this direction. I told Rob and Linda that we will go up from Diamond Notch next time to the canister. That was the route I first took years ago ,before someone told me about the rail bed.After we signed in ,it was down to Butter Milk falls and up to Westkill for peak # 6 for the day.We had some great views from Buck lookout.Then we took the rest of the red trail back over St Annes peak and down to Spruceton . Linda had brought along a fine bottle of French Champagne that was well chilled in the cooler. We each had a glass and toasted to a great hike .Here are some pictures.https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sre...43329&authkey=Gv1sRgCP7b7_yjhb_BVA&feat=email
Tags: None