48 Over 70

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kittredge

Reaction score
A couple of years ago, shortly after I'd turned seventy, I was climbing Adams with some friends, and Eva mentioned that some older hikers had set up the goal of climbing the 48 NH 4000-footers once they hit 70. At first I was dismissive ("stupid lists!") but I eventually came 'round and bought in. A three-day Pemi loop bagged 10 at one go, and the rest came at a reasonable clip. I finished the list last month on Moriah and emailed Carl Rosenthal and Dick Widhu to find out what I had to do to get the cleverly designed patch. (See below). I'll turn 72 this Friday.

I am geezer, hear me roar!

Absolutely fantastic! I've got a ways to go but God willing when I hit 70 I'm headed for that patch. The walker is hysterical.

At first I was dismissive ("stupid lists!") but I eventually came 'round and bought in...I'll turn 72 this Friday.
HA. I too (though not yet in my 70s) dismissed the lists as "stupid." That is, until I started knocking off some of the higher peaks. Then I too came 'round.

Good for you on the conquest. An early HAPPY BIRTHDAY shout-out to ya. And you are proof of what I often tell people: you don't stop hiking b/c you get old, you get old b/c you stop hiking.

Nice! I'd be interested in hearing your comparison between this round and your first; things such as observations and impresssions at the different ages, compensating for new "obstacles", vigor of the earlier trips and experience prior to the latter ... which edition of the WMG did you use? I'd bet you have a few.

P.S. Not that admitting to anything near that age but curious as to a good story and ideas just in case ... I'm interested ... around ... that ... age ...

Last edited:
Nice! I'd be interested in hearing your comparison between this round and your first; things such as observations and impresssions at the different ages, compensating for new "obstacles", vigor of the earlier trips and experience prior to the latter ... which edition of the WMG did you use? I'd bet you have a few.

P.S. Not that admitting to anything near that age but curious as to a good story and ideas just in case ... I'm interested ... around ... that ... age ...

I didn't actually start hiking until I was in my late 40s and only got into it gradually. It was years before I seriously considered doing the "stupid list" which I finally finished in 2007 (on Zealand!) I retired from my desk job in 2006 and have slowly dropped my weight from 175 down to 160, and I've been hitting the gym three or four times a week, so my hiking speed has stayed about the same: better than book time on the ascents; worse on descents. Also, I'm now a member of the SubSig outing club which has a lovely cabin south of Crawford Notch which makes weekend getaways very convenient. (By the way, I also live in Newton, MA.)

I also started winter hiking in 2003 never imagining that I'd complete that list, but, by God, I did that too this past March on Jefferson, a peak that I had signed up to do numerous times only to have the hikes cancelled due to bad weather.

As for the WMG, I started with the 25th and have pretty much kept up with each new edition.

Hi Bob .... Congratulations on one more fun and challenging accomplishment! That patch is a real hoot. I'm happy to have accompanied you on some of your excursions. Here's a snap shot of you on Lafayette in Jan 2006.

IMG_2040-L.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2040-L.jpg
    IMG_2040-L.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 78