In the Belknaps: Straightback, W. Quarry, Anna

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumblehome88

Reaction score
I parked at the end of Alton Mtn. Rd near a skidder and big pile of logs. I had read you could go further, but a big rock sticking up in the road just past the pile deterred me. But the road was pretty good from then on, so I had a mile road walk, uphill on the way back. I think most pickups and SUV's would easily handle it. I have what I think is the latest map on my iPhone- 2015. But there are some issues. First the Old Stage Road is not signed and has many side branches. I was able to find the Anna to Goat Pasture Hill T/H by following the oldest and most used road that went in the right direction. The sign pointing toward Anna is tiny. Next the map shows a dotted line from this trail to the Precipice Path but now it is freshly blazed purple with a new sign calling it the Precipice Path Connector. I took the W. Precipice to Straightback. It has some steep parts but short. Headed back from Straightback toward Anna and noticed a unsigned yellow-blazed trail heading north. I realized it might be heading for W. Quarry and followed it. A new sign appeared, "Marsh Crossing Trail." The Marsh was a beaver pond and the trail ascended steeply to W. Quarry (no view). Back on the Anna Old Stage Rd Link I quickly arrived at Anna (no significant view). Desended the Anna to Goat Pasture Hill trail to Old Stage Rd and returned to the skidder. A nice hike with the bonus of tagging an unplanned 3rd peak. I especially liked hiking on the duff most of the time. These trails don't get the traffic that the 4k footers get so they are not just bare rocks and roots. With a couple of additional signs, this would have been perfect, especially if I had driven to the marsh.

The Belknaps are constantly in flux, and there are many old and new herd paths not on the map. There's a Facebook group that's worth following if you do that sort of thing (Belknap Range Hikers, IIRC.)