Opinions on Danner Crater Rim?; Amazon returns for manufacturers warranty

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A while back a purchased a pair of Vasque Men's Clarion GTX boots. They are lower end backpacking boots--a thick sole, but with soft nubuck/dernier nylon and no full rand to protect the toe of the boot. After I made sure that the fit was good, I left them in the box until I grew tired of hot gluing my old boots.

This spring I took them out. They were a pleasure for a few hikes--the deep-lugged traction was far superior to the lighter boots I had always used. They are not especially heavy. But after about 40 miles, I noticed the stitching between the nubuck and dernier nylon was coming out.

I checked the Vasque web site (its now a brand of Redwing shoes, makes of Irish Setter, Carhartt, Worx). It said the boots had to be returned to the dealer for warranty--that would be Amazon. After two emails to Amazon, they let me return these 11 month old boots for full credit since they had no replacements. I don't think I will buy Vasque again.

Any opinions on Danner Crater Rims, or the brand in general? I have heard they are bit heavy, but also that Danner supplies unlabeled versions to the Army..

Last edited:
I have a pair of Danner leather boots, forget the model; they're fine boots but don't get a whole lot of use since I'm mostly in shoes during three season and plastics in winter. My father's a big fan of the brand, too. Of course, I've had nothing but good luck with Vasque, so...

I would call them again.. They must of thought you bought them recently. I had a pair of Sorel's for over a year and the soles separated. They said to send them back and they replaced them.