Trail Litter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing and this will most likely cause me to receive grief, I do not pick up litter I see. I'm not 100% sure why, I can only say, I didn't bring it in, I'm not packing someone's trash out.

This isn't meant to be grief, and I suspect this sentiment isn't unique to you. I wish to address the point without pointing any criticism at you.

I understand what you are saying - the responsibility falls on someone else: the person who left the litter. The reality is that the litter is there and the responsible person is unlikely to return to pick it up and no one else is hired to do that task. Given that reality, the sentiment of 'not my job' - while accurate - is unsustainable. There is a paradox inherent in wanting a shared resource to be maintained but being unwilling to put in effort to make it so. I suspect anyone who has lived in a roommate situation can attest. For instance, I lived in a three bedroom apartment where a dirty salad dish sat in the sink for two weeks. All other dishes were washed and dried but that one was left because everyone thought someone else would do it. Turns out it was left by one of my guests, leaving me feeling amply foolish. This scenario plays out with cleaning bathrooms, vacuuming floors, and so on. If one person doesn't want to carry their weight, the decision falls on the other roommates to pick up the slack or live with the consequences.

I find this analogy holds when it comes to litter in the woods. In this scenario, you aren't the crappy roommate who left the dish - you're one of the other innocent roommates that faces a decision on whether or not to put in the effort to make up for the mistakes of another. While failing to put forth effort (leaving the trash/dish) isn't a detraction, it is a missed opportunity to make an improvement. If there is to be a community resource - and public trails should qualify - then a critical mass of effort is required to sustain it. If someone enjoys the trails and is capable of contributing but does nothing, then they are taking advantage of those who do contribute.

I recognize that there are more ways to contribute than just picking up litter - removing blow downs and clearing out water bars are certainly huge contributions that will do more to preserve the trail than picking up litter. But I believe there are people who utilize the trails and don't contribute towards maintenance. Do I begrudge them? No. I doubt there are many, if any, people out there maliciously enjoying the labor of others while knowingly failing to contribute. I do admit that when I read a trip report that says a trail needs major work, I wonder if that person has volunteered their time to make the improvements they wish to see. Though not perfect - there is always room for improvement - I feel fortunate that the resource we all enjoy is generally well cared for by so many.

This isn't meant to be grief, and I suspect this sentiment isn't unique to you. I wish to address the point without pointing any criticism at you.

I understand what you are saying - the responsibility falls on someone else: the person who left the litter. The reality is that the litter is there and the responsible person is unlikely to return to pick it up and no one else is hired to do that task. Given that reality, the sentiment of 'not my job' - while accurate - is unsustainable. There is a paradox inherent in wanting a shared resource to be maintained but being unwilling to put in effort to make it so. I suspect anyone who has lived in a roommate situation can attest. For instance, I lived in a three bedroom apartment where a dirty salad dish sat in the sink for two weeks. All other dishes were washed and dried but that one was left because everyone thought someone else would do it. Turns out it was left by one of my guests, leaving me feeling amply foolish. This scenario plays out with cleaning bathrooms, vacuuming floors, and so on. If one person doesn't want to carry their weight, the decision falls on the other roommates to pick up the slack or live with the consequences.

I find this analogy holds when it comes to litter in the woods. In this scenario, you aren't the crappy roommate who left the dish - you're one of the other innocent roommates that faces a decision on whether or not to put in the effort to make up for the mistakes of another. While failing to put forth effort (leaving the trash/dish) isn't a detraction, it is a missed opportunity to make an improvement. If there is to be a community resource - and public trails should qualify - then a critical mass of effort is required to sustain it. If someone enjoys the trails and is capable of contributing but does nothing, then they are taking advantage of those who do contribute.

I recognize that there are more ways to contribute than just picking up litter - removing blow downs and clearing out water bars are certainly huge contributions that will do more to preserve the trail than picking up litter. But I believe there are people who utilize the trails and don't contribute towards maintenance. Do I begrudge them? No. I doubt there are many, if any, people out there maliciously enjoying the labor of others while knowingly failing to contribute. I do admit that when I read a trip report that says a trail needs major work, I wonder if that person has volunteered their time to make the improvements they wish to see. Though not perfect - there is always room for improvement - I feel fortunate that the resource we all enjoy is generally well cared for by so many.

That is a well thought out post. I wouldn't post my comments on here if I wasn't prepared to receive feedback, good or bad. I actually enjoy hearing other's viewpoints, regardless of how they align with mine, that's what makes conversations interesting. I do contribute to the trails I use. I cannot stand a clogged water bar, especially in the spring where runoff can cause amazing trail damage. Some of my hikes have been lengthened considerably time wise as I stop to clean WB's. Sticks and small blowdowns as well, I will clear what I can. I up righted many a trail sign as well. That dang sign at the Crawford path and WCT junction, I think I have raised it 12 times, as that area is my favorite in the mountains, I'm pushing close to 100 ascents of Pierce. I do not think people seeing litter makes them litter. You either give a shit and don't. I think it is admirable that people pick up litter, good for you. As far as dog waste, I flick it off the trail as far as I can. My waste, I bury to standard. I have not the slightest inclination to pick up litter on the trail, if you disagree with that, no problem here. Frankly, I've spent more time in the backcountry then most will or have ( not counting the many elite White mountain hikers) I'm talking about average too once in awhile hikers. When I see trash it reminds me of the difference between me and them. The Whites are a busy place, the solitude and pristine area's I climb in out west are much different then here. I have come to accept certain things hiking here. One is many not only don't care, they don't get it.

Litterers suck.

I pick up most of the trash I see on trails for environmental reasons primarily but also for the visual aspect. I leave tissues alone. Biodegradable orange peels and fruit scraps, I simply toss out of sight to decompose in the woods.

Having done 5 years of trail maintenance on Ammo Ravine, one of the busiest trails in the Presidentials, I can say I have not packed out much litter. I have watched well over a hundred people hike past me on their ascent as I worked. That said, the most common things I have seen other than the small plastic scraps have been the occasional plastic "disposable" water bottle - I don't suspect they come from experienced hikers either way who I would say tend to have refillables most of the time (with some exception I am sure). On occasion I have packed a few things out from the river or from the other side when I have crossed over to explore a bit but that trash had been there awhile. For the number on that trail, the trash has never been bad.

I haven't seen these pet bags yet....thankfully. :rolleyes:

The worst I recall was on the Cedar Brook trail oddly enough (not a real popular one) but it was obviously one or more "misguided" folks because they also left an "unwanted gift" right in the center of the trail having used a blowdown across the trail for a seat apparently. This was maybe 3 summers back. A fair bit of obvious litter.

As for picking up the trash of others a lesson from the broken window observation of low income housing is that the longer you leave it, the more will appear. Especially true with graffiti, too. Having said that, sometimes I pick it up, sometimes not. Depends on what, where, and my particular frame of mind or energy. One way or t'other, I'm not going to let it ruin any euphoria of the moment.

I think the best solution is relentless education at all levels. We have a stewardship for our surroundings, no matter how small or how grand. Flies against the throwaway society fostered by business and the media which extends from the tiniest scrap to life itself.

I would think in this age of technology where we are such superb masters of our destiny ... to be read with sarcasm ... we'd develop more biodegradable packaging and products for, sooner or later, it will end up in the ground or the air. F'rinstance ... tp and poop bags ... may it degrade into an edible substance so when the source comes back they'll enjoy a nice trail snack.

F'rinstance ... tp and poop bags ... may it degrade into an edible substance so when the source comes back they'll enjoy a nice trail snack.

I think my dog already lives in a world where this happens.

Personally, I try to pick up the trash as I see it. If I say "I'll get that on the descent" I usually forget about it and don't even see it again. I won't pick up tp, tissues, band-aids, and the like for obvious health reasons. The small wrappers usually go into pocket that rarely get used for anything else. Larger items tend to go in side pockets on my pack. I'll squish water bottles so the are smaller and possibly carry them by hand until I stop next so that I don't have to stop just for putting trash in a pocket. While it's not my job and I'm not the one who left it there, it bothers me to leave the woods with trash in them once I know it's there. I'm not doing it to feel better than the person who left it by any means, I just think it's what I should do. It bothers me that it is even there, so why leave it there when I can easily carry some of it out. My last hike I came out with 3 water bottles, 2 beer cans, and multiple wrappers and pieces of wrappers. Luckily someone also lost a plastic bag so I had something to carry it all in.

I've said many times "I come back with more than I started with", but it usually isn't much except for in those overcrowded places with inexperienced hikers like Monadnock.

I pick up trash when I see it. Carry a trash bag expressly for that purpose. 95% of the beer cans I find in the woods are invariably bud light cans. The other 5% is coors light. Does the can get heavier when the swill is dumped out of it? I mean it's bad enough one is drinking crappy beer, but to leave your evidence of poor taste behind? Have some pride and at least drink good beer so I'm not embarrassed when I go to the recycling center.

I pick up trash when I see it. Carry a trash bag expressly for that purpose. 95% of the beer cans I find in the woods are invariably bud light cans. The other 5% is coors light. Does the can get heavier when the swill is dumped out of it? I mean it's bad enough one is drinking crappy beer, but to leave your evidence of poor taste behind? Have some pride and at least drink good beer so I'm not embarrassed when I go to the recycling center.

Isn't good beer normally in a bottle instead of can, inevitably making it heavier to carry before leaving the bottle on the side of the trail?
(Full disclosure, I'm a non-drinker and son of someone who drinks Coors Light)

Baxter brewing is considered good beer and they only can their beer. There are a few other craft beers that use cans. I never see those beer cans on the trails, though.

I usually have a pocket I pick up some trash. Several corners, some wrappers. Gu and gels I usually see more on multi-use trails & I think it's the recreational biker leaving these as the hard-core will put a larger amount of gel in a re-useable squeeze bottle.

When I think of the novice hiker, I think they are more apt to bring nothing as it's an easy walk in the woods, how can anything go wrong. When I am on rail trails, I see more trash & the less serious Mt biker. (I'm just a rail trail biker, looking for a work-out & something other than hiking or walking.)

Some winter waste I see at harder to get to locations where people may camp (off trail at the Osceola trailhead on Tripoli Road where they walk from the gate on day one & use the closed lot as an open flat campsite)

Overall, I am seeing either less trash or no more & I am seeing more people so per person, I think it's getting better.

My last hike to Monadnock, circa 1990 I got to the top, found about 50 people, a case of beer, intoxicate people and and a boombox blasting. I headed straight back down. That's why it was my last.
Things have changed on Monadnock since 1990. You STILL might not want to go to the summit in the summer months unless you go really early because there WILL be alot of people on the trails and at the summit but early morning or winter hikes on Monadnock are awesome and if you want to stay away from people, Spellman trail is STILL a great option on all but the busiest of days. So during the week, any time, will likely be uncrowded and there is very little left behind any more. They've done a great job getting the message across about carry in, carry out.

Good times....well, almost....near split rock along Boott Spur Trail.

Pre-romance dinner...

IMG_4221e-L.jpg

Getting ready...

IMG_4220e-L.jpg

Not tonight honey, I have a ...

IMG_4223e-L.jpg

We did a Pemi Loop this past weekend. When we reached the concrete foundation on Garfield on Sunday morning, someone had left a pile of 5 Mountain House type meal packets tucked in a corner. On top of the meal packets were two different sized Crocs holding the entire mess down. As I was stuffing the discarded meal packs into my already stuffed backpack, I casually mentioned to a couple of day hikers we had been chatting with that I found the trash and was packing it out. Was I hoping they might offer to take it for me, sure, but when they didn't, we wished them a nice hike back down and I just resolved to take it along for the next 2 days. I don't expect anyone else to pack out someone's junk, so I figure if I don't like seeing it, then I should pack it out. We had no room for the Crocs, so hopefully someone has taken them by now.

A couple of months ago, we came across a cheap, heavy, waterlogged sleeping bag just off the Osseo trail a few miles in along with a plastic shopping bag full of open cans of food of various sizes and varieties. I attached it all to the outside of my pack and brought it to the dumpster at Lincoln Woods.

What amazes me is the litter found off trail while bushwhacking, not the logging camp artifacts, but other various pieces of random trash in the middle of nowhere. Always curious about how it got there.

This week: 20x20' tarp. Tequillia, very old, still full 1/2 gallon of Orange Juice, Dunkin' donuts cup offtrail outback. Condom. Guess which one I didn't bring back?

This week: 20x20' tarp. Tequillia, very old, still full 1/2 gallon of Orange Juice, Dunkin' donuts cup offtrail outback. Condom. Guess which one I didn't bring back?

I am guessing the Tequila didn't make it back to the car. ;)

Besides seeing micro. I often find a Mylar balloons. Also I must confess that I lost an empty water bottle out of my pack last summer, I really do think of it often. I feel something karma related is going to happen to me.

A FLIP FLOP! Yes folks, we found ANOTHER flip flop, about halfway up the trail. Must be the mate from the other one on Welch-Dickey!

Balloons - I thought all mylar balloons went to die inthe New Jersey Pine Barrens. I found dozens of them in the woods there. Maybe NJ has annexed New England?