Spring On Glen Boulder Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
The AMC Guide references a spring on Glen Boulder Trail approx 0.3 miles from Slide Peak / 0.7 miles from Glen Boulder. Is it signed and/or obvious to see? Is it reliable even in dry conditions? Is it a bubbling puddle or a pipe in ground? I've been through here several times but I only vaguely seem to remember the spot. Never stopped to use. Any info would be appreciated.

As I recall it's some 20m off-trail in a bit of scrub, not something you'd easily notice unless you were looking for it. Small but reliable.

FWIW I passed through here Saturday. It does have an obvious footpath and a fairly new white sign facing in the ascending direction. The spur path could use a good brushing toward the end but the spring was flowing well. It did have a lot of algae and moss in it but filtered just fine and was quite cold. Was glad it was flowing because it was pretty hot Saturday.

FWIW I passed through here Saturday. It does have an obvious footpath and a fairly new white sign facing in the ascending direction. The spur path could use a good brushing toward the end but the spring was flowing well. It did have a lot of algae and moss in it but filtered just fine and was quite cold. Was glad it was flowing because it was pretty hot Saturday.

Heading up there some time soon. Was wondering is the spring basically a small pool, or does it flow above ground, ( meaning can you fill a bottle from it without dipping into the algae?) like Liberty spring or any above ground flow.

Heading up there some time soon. Was wondering is the spring basically a small pool, or does it flow above ground, ( meaning can you fill a bottle from it without dipping into the algae?) like Liberty spring or any above ground flow.

It is a long, tiny brook basically (at least at the official filling spot) that comes out of the rocks in the woods and continues down into the trees. Was maybe 6-12" wide, no more than 8-10 inches deep at it's deepest spots. Some of these spots you could probably submerge a Nalgene enough to fill it but you would definitely be in the algae so you'd have to take care not to disturb the surrounding rocks. I had a Hiker Pro filter so I just dropped the end into a clear area at the base of a rock. I was going to take a photo of it but I completely forgot until I was half way back of the spur path. I've never used Liberty Spring so I can't compare the two. If you have a pump style filter it won't be a problem.

And as an aside, if you wind up in there I think I dropped a red Nalgene in a nylon carry pouch in that area. (The last place I definitely remember having it was on Davis Path near Boott Spur junction. I dropped it somewhere between there and my car at Pinkham Notch but I'm guessing it was at the spring because I was futzing around so much with my stuff.). Probably gone by now but if by chance you find it let me know. I don't care about the Nalgene so much but I love the carry sleeve it was in.

It is a long, tiny brook basically (at least at the official filling spot) that comes out of the rocks in the woods and continues down into the trees. Was maybe 6-12" wide, no more than 8-10 inches deep at it's deepest spots. Some of these spots you could probably submerge a Nalgene enough to fill it but you would definitely be in the algae so you'd have to take care not to disturb the surrounding rocks. I had a Hiker Pro filter so I just dropped the end into a clear area at the base of a rock. I was going to take a photo of it but I completely forgot until I was half way back of the spur path. I've never used Liberty Spring so I can't compare the two. If you have a pump style filter it won't be a problem.

And as an aside, if you wind up in there I think I dropped a red Nalgene in a nylon carry pouch in that area. (The last place I definitely remember having it was on Davis Path near Boott Spur junction. I dropped it somewhere between there and my car at Pinkham Notch but I'm guessing it was at the spring because I was futzing around so much with my stuff.). Probably gone by now but if by chance you find it let me know. I don't care about the Nalgene so much but I love the carry sleeve it was in.

Thanks for the info. I do not carry a filter, so I only use springs that pour out of the ground directly, The spring on Liberty does just that, another example is that small, but reliable spring high up on Lafeyette as you turn sharp left just below the upper cone about 6 ft off the trail is a beautiful spring that with patience will fill a bottle.

Thanks for the info. I do not carry a filter, so I only use springs that pour out of the ground directly, The spring on Liberty does just that, another example is that small, but reliable spring high up on Lafeyette as you turn sharp left just below the upper cone about 6 ft off the trail is a beautiful spring that with patience will fill a bottle.

It may well do that further up in the trees but it was thick and brushy so I didn't check. The area I filled at was pretty well trodden so I took that as being the "filling spot".

It may well do that further up in the trees but it was thick and brushy so I didn't check. The area I filled at was pretty well trodden so I took that as being the "filling spot".

Thanks, that wouldn't work for me. If it wasn't thick maybe the source is available, but that stuff is to thick to look into. No biggie, I'll pack enough. I never had water issues, until I got my dog, now I need to have a lot on hand mostly for him.

Thanks, that wouldn't work for me. If it wasn't thick maybe the source is available, but that stuff is to thick to look into. No biggie, I'll pack enough. I never had water issues, until I got my dog, now I need to have a lot on hand mostly for him.

Thanks for asking all my questions, too. Good to know!