Best app for notifying your loved ones?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sematary

Reaction score
So I was googling stuff and saw "Cairns" as an option but I can't find it in the app store. What is a good app that I can use to notify me of like current position when a signal opens up?

If it helps, the one I was looking for would (if I remember correctly) notify people of your location when it made a cell connection. Seems it was something like that anyway

Text messaging. It's only a few bytes. The problem is that if you leave your cell on and there is no carrier available, your phone will burn down your battery charge very quickly by relentlessly transmitting "anybody out there?" message. I do not believe there is anything an app can do to prevent that.

The no tech way is to just be aware of obvious places you can get a signal. The probability of getting a signal increases as you climb the mountain. I have never failed to get a signal on top. Just don't send a photo with a "it sure is wonderful here today" to your SO from the top. Great way to sour a relationship!
Also, most paved roads in the Whites seem to find some sort of brief signal, at least enough to get a text out. And one last thing. Hold your phone up high over your head in a cleearing. Worked for me in the 100 mile wilderness.

Last edited:
Once after a few day's out, I called my Mom as she was worried not hearing from me and had called a bunch. I never leave a itinerary and this one time she freaked out. I got a weak signal and called her. The connection was horrible, here I am yelling Mom! Mom! then lost the signal. My heart sank, as I knew the repercussions on the other side of the line. Took me awhile to get through and she was able to call back the forest service to tell them I was fine. Sorry mom.:eek: I agree texting is the way to go, or the SPOT.

Text messaging. It's only a few bytes. The problem is that if you leave your cell on and there is no carrier available, your phone will burn down your battery charge very quickly by relentlessly transmitting "anybody out there?" message. I do not believe there is anything an app can do to prevent that.

The way to avoid that, at least on iPhones, is to go into Settings and switch into Airplane mode at the start of your hike, when signal is likely to be weak or none, then revert to normal when you get to some high part where you want to check and send messages. I usually Message a photo too, since I'm apt to be taking a break somewhere with a view.

While not for everyone, I really like my Spot (Gen2). Reliable from most any clearing, I've used it all over the lower 48.

As a former SPOT(Gen3) user I wholeheartedly suggest Delorme's InReach instead. I found the SPOT horribly unreliable in the Whites, even many times with clear views to the sky. The inReach has additional features as well which make it well worthy the extra money in my opinion.