Summit view diagrams (What's that peak yonder?)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanbu

Reaction score
Some years ago Appalachia published summit view diagrams for Monadnock and Mount Washington. They indicated the names of mountains on the horizon and their distance. Have these diagrams been posted to the internet? Are there summit view diagrams for other New England mountains?

Some years ago Appalachia published summit view diagrams for Monadnock and Mount Washington. They indicated the names of mountains on the horizon and their distance. Have these diagrams been posted to the internet? Are there summit view diagrams for other New England mountains?

Here is a 360 deg panoramic view from the summit of Monadnock that was done originally by Chamberlain, who wrote the "Annals of Monadnock" which is still the bible of early history of the mountain. You should note that the nautical direction for the various peaks, from the summit of M, are correct but the bearings are all taken from the various peaks to Monadnock so you have to add 180 deg to the given bearing to get the proper bearing from M summit. I was confused when I first looked at it and it took me awhile to figure out why everything was 180 deg off. I could be wrong in my conclusion about the bearing discrepancy so if I am I would appreciate knowing the real reason. Not sure if you were looking for a personal copy, if so just PM me and I will gladly email you a copy.
Monadnock views 001.jpg

I apologize for the image orientation. The orientation was okay in my file but when I uploaded it it got turned 90 deg and I can't seem to find a means to rotate it back. If one of the moderators could rotate it I'd appreciate it or tell me how and I will try to do it.

Last edited:
Here is a 360 deg panoramic view from the summit of Monadnock that was done originally by Chamberlain, who wrote the "Annals of Monadnock" which is still the bible of early history of the mountain. You should note that the nautical direction for the various peaks, from the summit of M, are correct but the bearings are all taken from the various peaks to Monadnock so you have to add 180 deg to the given bearing to get the proper bearing from M summit. I was confused when I first looked at it and it took me awhile to figure out why everything was 180 deg off. I could be wrong in my conclusion about the bearing discrepancy so if I am I would appreciate knowing the real reason. Not sure if you were looking for a personal copy, if so just PM me and I will gladly email you a copy.
View attachment 5556

I apologize for the image orientation. The orientation was okay in my file but when I uploaded it it got turned 90 deg and I can't seem to find a means to rotate it back. If one of the moderators could rotate it I'd appreciate it or tell me how and I will try to do it.

You can just right click the image and save the file to your computer and rotate or edit it in a program like irfanview.