Burn advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
There are reason why you should never sit in your camp kitchen & I learned why you don't break those rules. So now I am a week plus out from suffering 1st and 2nd degree burns from a couple of quarts of scalding water. Some itching remains & for the upcoming ADK hike on 6/4 I am looking at just carrying a camelback with no waist belt (burn is lower right side & along the belt line) & having my son carry my rain gear & anything else.

Healing so far is pretty good & I'm seeing the MD. Any advice or person experiences?

Was on a scouting trip & while I would have preferred not having anyone hurt, better me than a scout.

Keep it clean and covered with clothing when possible. Use sunscreen meticulously for intact skin that is sun exposed- though it sounds like your situation won't be exposed, those pigment cells will take a few months to come back and a sunburn could result in permanent discoloration.
Been there, done variations of that. Good luck!

Thanks weatherman. Using plenty of Silverdene cream & so far, so good. My only concern will be if there is scarring that would impact wearing anything with a hip belt. This weekend, I'll be letting my son carry my raincoat & any extra gear. (It's an old avatar, he's closing in on 6' & may catch me by my birthday later in the year)

Hi Mike, just noticed this. Sorry to hear about the burn, but I'm glad it's healing well. Remember "Chicks dig scars!"

And it certainly could have been worse; a young man I knew years ago spilled the boiling pot on his lap, and had extensive 2nd degree burns on his private parts. That one really hurt for a while!

Thanks weatherman. Using plenty of Silverdene cream & so far, so good. My only concern will be if there is scarring that would impact wearing anything with a hip belt. This weekend, I'll be letting my son carry my raincoat & any extra gear. (It's an old avatar, he's closing in on 6' & may catch me by my birthday later in the year)

Excellent- bet he felt great carrying some of Dad's stuff for a change! Usually 1st-2nd degree scald burns don't scar permanently if you treat them right away and keep them uber-clean. Silvadene is really good stuff. Might take 4-6 mos to heal completely. I poured a couple gallons of boiling soup into both my shoes once for a very large group meal. Jumped into a nearby sink and turned the cold water on, though both feet and ankles blistered cause untying my shoes took a few seconds. Chose swimming over hiking that summer for exercise but by September was good as new. Good luck.

Last edited: