GoreTex Tape

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BISCUT

Reaction score
I have a bivy sack from LL Bean that is about 16 years old. It is in great shape but the seam tape has basically pulled away and, for lack of a better term, rotted away. Any way to repair?

I take it from your description that the fabric and stitching are still sound, and that the only issue is the taping. If this is correct, then the solution is SeamGrip, a product in McNett's Gear Aid product line. It's a polyurethane that you brush on over the line of stitches on the backside. Just remove the old tape, apply the SeamGrip, and let it dry overnight. It's available at EMS, REI, Amazon, etc. Great stuff, with a million (well, I haven't actually counted) other uses.

Alex

I have found using tenacious tape with a sealer like seam grip on the edges makes a very strong and long lasting repair.

Try Sailmaker Supply for some sticky Dacron spinnaker tape and you can get it in assorted colors too.. It's about $7 for a good size roll plus shipping. Once you apply it add a little heat (iron). I've used it with great luck on gaiters from crampon holes so it should be really good for tents and bags.