Katahdin Hiking Guide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Lousy weather today allowed me to finally finish my online hiking guide to Katahdin:
Hiking Katahdin

This one has been on my to-do list for a few years. If you've got some time available, I'd really appreciate your ideas on how to make this page better (i.e. feedback / corrections / ideas for improvement / etc.).

Thanks All,

- Roadtripper

I never minded descending the Saddle Trail. At least there is limited shade. One isn't baking in the sun the entire hike. It would probably be my least favorite climb, though. I would rather do Hunt or Hamlin on the way up.

At least a mention of the approaches from Russell Pond via NW Basin or Northern Peaks trails would be a nice addition, they both quite spectacular in their own way. These can be dayhiked in a loop from Russell or make for some interesting overnight backpacks. The extensive above treeline and remote basins north of Hamlin get very little use by hikers and are a definite remedy to the crowded trails that ascent Baxter Peak.

I would suggest adding modifying the Southern Entrance section to add the disclaimer that car navigation/apps based maps tend to direct drivers to the park headquarters in Millinocket rather than the actual park gate . It also should be noted that the road map databases used by most apps north of Millinocket and in all the park are notorious incomplete/outdated. A warning that cell service is slim to nonexistent north of Millinocket is probably required although I expect most folks will be clueless on the practical implications of this

I would suggest also discussing that entrance to park via the north gate to access the Katahdin Trails is not recommended, although the map distance appears short, the road conditions (narrow twisty and occasionally potholed) means a minimum 2 hour drive from the north gate to the Katahdin Stream. If you want to expand it you could add in a discussion of the far less used trail network in the north end of the park based around south branch pond and the very special Traveler Loop.

I would take issue with discussion about Millinocket, I don't think the "economically distressed" commentary adds to the content. "Economically distressed" is frequently a code word to most for crime ridden (lock your car doors and come back to a car up on blocks). I would suggest commenting that there is grocery store and several businesses that provide the typical supplies wanted by campers.

In that same vein, you may not have had the opportunity to visit the New England Outdoors Center http://www.neoc.com/. It definitely offers higher end lodging and dining.

Last edited:
I didn't study the Katahdin hike in detail because there are other means by which I plan trips. However, I was fascinated by your excellent top 25 lists with one caveat. There are top 25 in one state that wouldn't even come close to making the list in another so I'm wondering if there is any point in the magic number of 25? 25 might also drop some worthy attractions off the list in several states. User friendly for me, regardless of the numbers.

Lousy weather today allowed me to finally finish my online hiking guide to Katahdin:
Hiking Katahdin

This one has been on my to-do list for a few years. If you've got some time available, I'd really appreciate your ideas on how to make this page better (i.e. feedback / corrections / ideas for improvement / etc.).

Thanks All,

- Roadtripper

Cool page. I'm heading up to Baxter for the first time in two weeks and this page is a nice refresher of all the excellent info I got from peakbagger and others in my posts a few months ago. I'll be sure to reference with my other notes as I finalize everything.

One more suggestion

For anyone camping on the east side of the mountain, South Turner makes a great way to stretch out after a long days hike. Hard to beat the views and its nice way to visualize the next days hike. Most folks take around 6 hours to drive up, if they arrive mid afternoon they can do south turner plus stop by and visit the almost guaranteed moose at the pond on the way back.

I didn't study the Katahdin hike in detail because there are other means by which I plan trips. However, I was fascinated by your excellent top 25 lists with one caveat. There are top 25 in one state that wouldn't even come close to making the list in another so I'm wondering if there is any point in the magic number of 25? 25 might also drop some worthy attractions off the list in several states. User friendly for me, regardless of the numbers.

So I chose 25 as the magic number for most lists on the site, even though it is a bit arbitrary. And you are totally correct - something on Kansas' top 25 list can't match something on California's. However, the point of the lists is to show that there are worthwhile things to do in every single state. There's nothing else on the internet that really summarizes the best of each state, so that's what I was trying to accomplish. If you notice, I did also add "runner-up" attractions below the 25 lists to give people additional ideas on things to do. At the end of the day, a "top 25 list" is extremely subjective, but I tried to give it my best based no my own travels and also reading through a gazillion websites and guidebooks.

I never minded descending the Saddle Trail. At least there is limited shade. One isn't baking in the sun the entire hike. It would probably be my least favorite climb, though. I would rather do Hunt or Hamlin on the way up.

Good point on the shade, but I just find almost no joy in this trail. It's right up there with the Fishin' Jimmy Trail on Mt. Kinsman in NH in my opinion - I dread it every time. From now on, I'm climbing Hamlin every time I do a loop on Katahdin.

At least a mention of the approaches from Russell Pond via NW Basin or Northern Peaks trails would be a nice addition, they both quite spectacular in their own way. These can be dayhiked in a loop from Russell or make for some interesting overnight backpacks. The extensive above treeline and remote basins north of Hamlin get very little use by hikers and are a definite remedy to the crowded trails that ascent Baxter Peak.

I would suggest adding modifying the Southern Entrance section to add the disclaimer that car navigation/apps based maps tend to direct drivers to the park headquarters in Millinocket rather than the actual park gate . It also should be noted that the road map databases used by most apps north of Millinocket and in all the park are notorious incomplete/outdated. A warning that cell service is slim to nonexistent north of Millinocket is probably required although I expect most folks will be clueless on the practical implications of this

I would suggest also discussing that entrance to park via the north gate to access the Katahdin Trails is not recommended, although the map distance appears short, the road conditions (narrow twisty and occasionally potholed) means a minimum 2 hour drive from the north gate to the Katahdin Stream. If you want to expand it you could add in a discussion of the far less used trail network in the north end of the park based around south branch pond and the very special Traveler Loop.

I would take issue with discussion about Millinocket, I don't think the "economically distressed" commentary adds to the content. "Economically distressed" is frequently a code word to most for crime ridden (lock your car doors and come back to a car up on blocks). I would suggest commenting that there is grocery store and several businesses that provide the typical supplies wanted by campers.

In that same vein, you may not have had the opportunity to visit the New England Outdoors Center http://www.neoc.com/. It definitely offers higher end lodging and dining.

I didn’t realize that the rangers allowed you to day hike Katahdin from Russell Pond. Are you 100% sure on that?

Great point on the GPS – I will add some notes about that in later today.

Another great point on the northern entrance – I should warn people not to try entrance since speed limit is 20mph.

I will change language on Millinocket to be a bit softer. I also added that the NEOC has some of the best food & accommodations in the area. I should also add that whitewater rafting the Penobscot compliments a hike of Katahdin quite nicely.

Thanks for all your help with this.

With respect to day hikes from Russell Pond. I have talked to folks who have done the loop up NW basin and down Northern Peaks in the past but since Northern Peaks was closed for many years I don't know of any recent hikers. Its about 16 mile loop. I am not sure about it so feel free to leave it out.