Last Minute Baxter Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
Down to just a few days now until my first Baxter trip and I had some last minute questions after reading through all my prior posts and notes:

1) Water. Are the nearby rivers the only water source in park? I know it says there is no potable water but I didn't know if they had pumps or something more convenient to the actual campground other than just grabbing it right from a stream. I assume a nearby stream is readily available at the campgrounds (I'll be at Roaring Brook). I'll be bringing a decent amount of water with me and will also have a filter.

2) Gate Fee. When I booked my site they added a gate fee to the reservation. Does that cover my entire stay or just one trip through the gate? (i.e. if I decide to run into town on a rainy day or because I forgot something will I be paying another gate fee to reenter park?)

3) Leaving. Is there a separate departure gate for outbound park traffic or do you battle the same inbound crowds when you're leaving? I'll be leaving on a WED so I don't imagine it would be an issue either way but I was curious if getting up to get an early start home would involve a long wait at the gate for inbound hikers.

4) Walk In Site Parking. I have a walk in site and I'm curious if they have dedicated parking somewhere like the other sites or if I have to park in the general lot (again where I might be competing with day use traffic for a spot).

5) Saddle Spring and Caribou Spring. In planning my route I noticed two springs marked on the map between Baxter summit and Hamlin Peak. Are these reliable springs, especially in drier conditions? I consume a lot of water when it is hot and the exertion level is high. Having a source in that area would make filtering a nice option versus carrying a ton of water up all the vertical. My "standard" hike I usually carry 3L but on a warm day 4-6L is not unusual for me. Wondering if I should start out with 4L instead of 3L and suck up the extra weight just to be sure I have no issues.

Appreciate any answers , as well as all the previously helpful advice in my prior posts. All I need now is some good weather. Can't wait to get up there and see the park.

Down to just a few days now until my first Baxter trip and I had some last minute questions after reading through all my prior posts and notes:

1) Water. Are the nearby rivers the only water source in park? I know it says there is no potable water but I didn't know if they had pumps or something more convenient to the actual campground other than just grabbing it right from a stream. I assume a nearby stream is readily available at the campgrounds (I'll be at Roaring Brook). I'll be bringing a decent amount of water with me and will also have a filter. No Pumps for campers, you need to grab it from the brook. A water bucket really makes things convenient
2) Gate Fee. When I booked my site they added a gate fee to the reservation. Does that cover my entire stay or just one trip through the gate? (i.e. if I decide to run into town on a rainy day or because I forgot something will I be paying another gate fee to reenter park?) Good for the duration of the trip no matter how many times you come in and out, just be aware a drive into town is 2 hours

3) Leaving. Is there a separate departure gate for outbound park traffic or do you battle the same inbound crowds when you're leaving? I'll be leaving on a WED so I don't imagine it would be an issue either way but I was curious if getting up to get an early start home would involve a long wait at the gate for inbound hikers.Not an issue, there is a box to deposit your slip as you drive out for good

4) Walk In Site Parking. I have a walk in site and I'm curious if they have dedicated parking somewhere like the other sites or if I have to park in the general lot (again where I might be competing with day use traffic for a spot). The parking lot on the left is for day hikers and the parking lot on the right is for campers. Parking is tight so park close to the other cars

5) Saddle Spring and Caribou Spring. In planning my route I noticed two springs marked on the map between Baxter summit and Hamlin Peak. Are these reliable springs, especially in drier conditions? I consume a lot of water when it is hot and the exertion level is high. Having a source in that area would make filtering a nice option versus carrying a ton of water up all the vertical. My "standard" hike I usually carry 3L but on a warm day 4-6L is not unusual for me. Wondering if I should start out with 4L instead of 3L and suck up the extra weight just to be sure I have no issues.Both are reliable this time of year, I treat them due to large number of folks in the area, caribou is my favorite . I have far less faith in Thoreau Spring There is also a interesting spring heading down Hamlin ridge Trail on the left as you start heading down, its usually a trickle by August.

Definitely plan on heading up early and doing South Turner the afternoon you get there, stop by Sandy Stream Pond and visit the moose.

Unless things have changed, I haven't found a place in town that stocks block ice (but haven't looked hard). Ice cubes last 1/3 as long as block ice. Once you go past the grocery store across from McDonalds in Millinocket you start paying a premium for supplies the closer you get to the park. Cheapest gas is usually Dysarts about a mile in from the interstate in Medway on the left. There is a camp store at Ambajejus lake half way to the park but you pay a premium for everything. The AT café on Penobscot street in Millinocket is the best place in town for breakfast, take a left at the light in downtown. If its around lunch I usually stop by the hot dog stand in East Millinocket on the same side of the road as the old mill complex (it may be closed for good with the mill gone). Watch your speed through East Millinocket, its enforced aggressively. Cell coverage drops off soon after you pass under the railroad bridge heading out of Millinocket. I always stop at park headquarters as they have the latest maps for sale.

Some of the best views of the mountain are immediately before the park gate on the right. There is also a nice spot a mile or so up the road to Kathadin Stream Campground. There is pull over spot in amongst the red pines , from there until KSC, there are few if any views unless you go past up towards the Marston Trailhead where there are nice views up Doubletop. Kind of cold to go swimming anywhere most folks usually swim at togue pond before you enter the park.

Last edited:
I've never seen Saddle Spring, but Caribou Spring is a beautiful, ice cold, little rivulet. It's like an oasis in a desert.

I normally freeze water in gallon, or quart, milk jugs to take up to Baxter. Lasts four or five days in a good cooler.

Be sure to keep the pass handy as you will need it whenever you pass through the gate.

I think peakbagger's time for a trip to Millinocket is round trip, it would probably take me longer, but I've never gone all the way back into town. The general store at Ambejejus has pretty much anything you'll need and I think they have block ice.

Even on a rainy day there is plenty to do in the park ... more than in town for the purposes of my trips. Side trips to remote ponds, or not so remote, looking for moose is one of my plan B's. Waterfalls are another. Redlining viewless obscure trails and scouting things out for future trips are two more. There is plenty to explore in the park. Enjoy!

Good idea to freeze your own water as it becomes a consumable supply later. I also freeze little boxes of juice drinks.

There is a park visitor center on the way in to the South Gate. It is worth a few minutes of your time. Ask about trail closures. Abol and Dudley Trails are currently closed.

Last edited:
Yup one hour one way and one hour back plus whatever time I spend in town. If I am in the park for an extended period (more than 3 days), I usually make a trip to town for fresh food (and later in the season to see what goodies I can buy at the road side farmer market in Millinocket). I usually stop by The Birches (the AT thru hikers site) at least one evening and do some trail magic but I am usually in the park much later in the season. Cold drinks and fresh food are real popular with thruhikers so I usually plan my trip to town around mid afternoon to end up at the Birches around supper.

Thanks for the great info. Was extremely helpful planning the trip. I doubt I would intentionally drive into Millinocket during my stay at the park but I rarely camp so I wanted to be prepared for that "Aw crap! I forgot my ____" moment. I've been reviewing and re-reviewing my gear lists to hopefully prevent any issues. Usually when I camp it's in NH where a little cash and a short ride remedies the problem. I'll likely spend a little time checking out town on the way up or back just to familiarize myself with what is up there for future trips.

Is Orvieto still open? The Italian sandwich shop at 67 Prospect St? Our routine leaving Baxter was a swim at Togue Pond and lunch at Orvieto before the drive back. The food made the drive through Millinocket worth while.

Unfortunately Orvieto's appeared to be closed for good last year summer went I went to pick up a sandwich. I expect they lived off of orders from the mill workers as they sure didn't have an ideal location for tourists. I usually would stop by and pick up a large sandwich before heading into the park. It was good for two meals.

Great info above! Drive carefully on the Lake road out to the Park from Millinocket, wildlife abounds. Stop at North Woods Trading Post. Prepare for severe weather above treeline. Talk with the Rangers!

There are also supplies at Abol Bridge general store and a glance at either DeLorme or some of the southern park maps show some rough but passable shortcuts south of the gate to Golden Road ... otherwise you'd end up going to Ambejejus Lake where there's another store anyway.

I resisted suggesting Abol Bridge store as a good option for a supply run as last year their supplies were pretty sparse. The old State road was reopened from the Togue Pond road directly to Abol bridge last year obviously for logging purposes. They ran a road grader down the road over the old tar and the result was a couple of miles of classic washboard road, try to make some speed on it and it will rattle out fillings. Compared to it being abandoned with trees in the middle of it, it was an improvement but still real rough. The Golden Road itself was also in pretty poor shape with potholes that would eat small cars.

Last edited:
Abol Bridge is a campground store with car-camping supplies. Do not expect any backpacking-type foods.
The shortcut between the Baxter Park road and the Golden Road can be found opposite the Painted Rock from the Baxter Road side.
As peakbagger mentioned, the reopened State road is not recommended.

I resisted suggesting Abol Bridge store as a good option for a supply run as last year their supplies were pretty sparse. The old State road was reopened from the Togue Pond road directly to Abol bridge last year obviously for logging purposes. They ran a road grader down the road over the old tar and the result was a couple of miles of classic washboard road, try to make some speed on it and it will rattle out fillings. Compared to it being abandoned with trees in the middle of it, it was an improvement but still real rough. The Golden Road itself was also in pretty poor shape with potholes that would eat small cars.

As long as you are sort of on this topic, what is the correct road to the gate? Golden Road and Millinocket Road both follow similar paths out of town and then Millinocket Road seems to become Baxter Park Road, which still seems to mirror Golden Road for awhile. Is the signage to the get very obvious or do I need to be paying close attention to the road names? I drive a Hyundai Accent (i.e. small with low clearance) so waving, bumpy roads full of potholes are going to slow me down big time.

Follow the State of Maine Baxter State Park Signs and you cant go wrong unless you insist on using a car navigation system. Act like a Mainer and buy a Delorme guide ;). If you are driving through Millinocket go past the business district, you will come to an obvious T intersection with a large old school (now elderly housing) on your right. Take the right on the main road, there is a BSP sign. About 1/2 mile past there the main road bears left, there is BSP sign. From there just go straight following the state highway. Eventually you will pass between two lakes (one of them is Ambjejus lake) and this is the location of the last store. Stay on the main road for several miles and look out the windshield as there are some real nice long views of the Kathadin. Eventually the road coincides with a powerliine right of way and soon after there is distinct right turnat an intersection (with a BSP sign). The old state road to Abol Bridge goes straight at this intersection but its obviously a secondary road compared to the right turn. Once you go past a girl scout camp with some bumps in the road to slow you down, the BSP visitor center is on your left, you don't need to stop there. You are now on a dirt road, go less than mile and after the great view of katahdin you will arrive at the gate.

There is a very good restaurant at the Twin Pines Resort, on the right just before the Ambjejus store.

I don't know when you are actually heading up there but boy you picked a nice stretch of weather if its in the next week.

Last edited:
As peakbagger says, use your eyes and a map it's pretty easy to follow the road. Your car can easily make it. No worries. The gate is 16 miles from Millinocket. At the 8 mile point there is a general store, forgot the name of it, but it sells touristy stuff.

I drove a Pontiac Fiero around the park for couple of days one year. I had slim to none ground clearance. The only folks who seem to get in trouble on park roads are the ones that are in rush.

Last edited:
Follow the State of Maine Baxter State Park Signs and you cant go wrong unless you insist on using a car navigation system. Act like a Mainer and buy a Delorme guide ;). If you are driving through Millinocket go past the business district, you will come to an obvious T intersection with a large old school (now elderly housing) on your right. Take the right on the main road, there is a BSP sign. About 1/2 mile past there the main road bears left, there is BSP sign. From there just go straight following the state highway. Eventually you will pass between two lakes (one of them is Ambjejus lake) and this is the location of the last store. Stay on the main road for several miles and look out the windshield as there are some real nice long views of the Kathadin. Eventually the road coincides with a powerliine right of way and soon after there is distinct right turnat an intersection (with a BSP sign). The old state road to Abol Bridge goes straight at this intersection but its obviously a secondary road compared to the right turn. Once you go past a girl scout camp with some bumps in the road to slow you down, the BSP visitor center is on your left, you don't need to stop there. You are now on a dirt road, go less than mile and after the great view of katahdin you will arrive at the gate.

There is a very good restaurant at the Twin Pines Resort, on the right just before the Ambjejus store.

I don't know when you are actually heading up there but boy you picked a nice stretch of weather if its in the next week.

I'm going up this coming Sunday so this nice stretch of weather has me worried for what I'll be getting next week. So far it looks OK but Sunday is a long way off and this is New England.