campground to stay at near Allen Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Sikes

Reaction score
We are thinking of going up and doing Allen Mountain this weekend. It's been many years since the last time and I don't remember much. haha. What are the places to stay around the area and also any info updating me on Allen Mountain would be appreciated.

Lake Harris is a NYS DEC campground in Newcomb, there was also a commercial campground in Newcomb that has been opened/closed multiple times over the last decade, not sure of its current state. Getting in to upper works takes around a half hour from Newcomb.

I compiled everything I know about Allen here: http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/wiki/AllenMountain

The route is described in detail and it has a few pics of the notable milestones. Key tip is to be wary of trying it during heavy rain or spring thaw. You have to ford the Opalescent and it may become impossible to re-cross safely if the current intensifies (this has happened more than once). The other thing is to tread carefully on Allen's slide. The "Red Slime" is very slippery (iron oxides).

Last edited:
Ended up staying at Lake Harris Campground. Was nice minus the bullfrog croaking all night long. haha. Allen is behind us. Onto the others.
Thanks for the advise.