Alpine Flowers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy

Reaction score
When are the wild/alpine flowers in bloom on Washington? I'm headed to the Whites this weekend and if they're in bloom now that's my plan. If not, it'll be Owl's Head (depending on stream crossings), or something yet to be determined as my third option.

Thanks,
Amy

As of this Saturday (6/18) on Madison/Adams/Jefferson...

Blooming: Diapensia, Lapland Rosebay, Labrador Tea, Mountain Laurel, Bunchberry, Goldthread, Starflower
Fading or past: Hobble bush (fading), Trillium, Trout lilies
Coming up: Bluebead lilies

Tim

As of this Saturday (6/18) on Madison/Adams/Jefferson...

Blooming: Diapensia, Lapland Rosebay, Labrador Tea, Mountain Laurel, Bunchberry, Goldthread, Starflower
Fading or past: Hobble bush (fading), Trillium, Trout lilies
Coming up: Bluebead lilies

Tim

Trout lillies fading!? My shaded backyard trout lillies don't even blossom 'til late summer ... must be late summer already in the alpine zone. :)

Anyway, its nice to read about the beauty we hike for and not the contention over the prospective eyesores ... power lines and signs.

I'd take the Alpine Garden over Owls Head any day (depending on the weather) ... it may be passing its peak but it's still very nice and it'll be another year before its like this again. Owls Head will still be a nice walk in the woods any time.

From Sunday June 26:
Labrador Tea in profusion between Pierce and Eisenhower.
Mountain Cranberry plentiful in the col btw Pierce and Ike as were Bunchberry, Goldthread and Bluebead Lilly, though the latter still had a tinge of green.

JohnL

Thank you all for input! The crowds last weekend scared/intimidated/annoyed me, so I skipped the more popular Washington - Alpine Garden hike for Owls Head. Even that was crowded! I'd hate to see what Washington or the Franconia Notch hikes looked like. I'll try to get the Alpine Garden next spring closer to late May/early June.

About Owl's Head.... I now have a new "least favorite".

Thank you all for input! The crowds last weekend scared/intimidated/annoyed me, so I skipped the more popular Washington - Alpine Garden hike for Owls Head. Even that was crowded! I'd hate to see what Washington or the Franconia Notch hikes looked like. I'll try to get the Alpine Garden next spring closer to late May/early June.

About Owl's Head.... I now have a new "least favorite".

Welcome to the Club.