July 4th Mt. Katahdin Day Hike?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ds_ohio

Reaction score
Howdy, folks! I'm a brand new member here, hoping to get some help to hike Mt. Katahdin. I'm not sure where to begin, but here goes. Circumstances have presented me with a time frame of the July 4th weekend to come to Maine to hike. Yes, I live in the Cincinnati area. And yes, I am considering making the trip on my motorcycle. I know they are prohibited from Baxter State Park, too. I'm a day hiker, not really a backpacker.

It looks like my only hope would be to meet someone at the front gate and ride in with them to a trailhead. I'm thinking Roaring Brook CG. I'd like to loop and I'd like to definitely include knife edge trail. I'm 55, in adequate shape, and can probably go up at a 1 mph clip. Down, probably 1-1/2 mph if it's as rocky as I've read.

It's a bucket list thing. So, if i can somehow make it to Millinocket in two days travel, and if anyone has any day hikes planned, I'd appreciate some help.

I'm actually more concerned about a 600 mile day on a bike than the hike itself, I haven't done that since I was 25.

I know each mountain is unique, but I've highpointed Georgia, South Dakota, New York, New Hampshire, Vermont, Colorado, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and North Carolina. (South Carolina was a bit of a let down), so I'm not a complete noob.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and hike safe.

ds_ohio

Good luck, the park is just about at maximum capacity on holiday weekends. You need lot of logistical help, I would suggest contacting the AT Lodge in Millinocket Maine. They can shuttle you in and pick you up plus supply you a room to stay the night before http://appalachiantraillodge.com/ They normally deal with AT thru hikers but I expect their services would work well for a motorcyclist.

Thanks, egilbe. It was that thread that made me sign up here. And thanks, peakbagger, i will investigate the AT trail lodge. that would allow me to hike solo. that looks very promising!

ds_ohio

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?58121-Last-Minute-Baxter-Questions

Daytrip started this thread and it should give you answers to a lot of questions you may have.

I have several threads about Baxter with numerous questions asked and answered. I think my first thread was last Summer. Lot of details, particularly about the trails, recommended direction of various routes, etc. In the Trip Reports section I also have a link to a video of the Knife Edge so you can get an idea of the roughness. I don't think I could spend 600 miles on a motorcycle and then do that hike. I'd be stiff as a board. It's definitely a physical hike. Good luck with it! The park is awesome.