Tent Stake Recommendation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
While at Baxter last week I pretty thoroughly mangled the stakes that came with my tent in the rocky sites. (I have the type that is basically a fluted nail with the end turned over in a hook). I tried all the usual tricks for getting it to hold but to no avail. Is there a better stake out there for terrain like this or just in general? I remember awhile back seeing a Section Hiker article or something referencing a tent stake "everyone" uses. Can't for the life of me find the article. Possibly MSR made?? It's been awhile so I don't recall.

Anyone have a go-to recommendation for a tent stake that holds up to tough terrain?

Use rocks; tie the tent cords to rocks about the size of shoeboxes, and you are all set. Just in case the Baxterites get twisted up, make sure to put them back where you got them in the morning...

Last edited:
Also keep in mind that in many AMC sites you'll be on a wooden tent platform, with no place to drive a tent stake. I store my tents with a bit of extra cord pre-attached to each guy line and stake point, long enough to tie to a rock or other improvised anchor (e.g. tie cord to stick, wedge stick behind/under heavy rock; or extend cord to edge of platform, loop cord around end of plank.)

There are usually sticks around, and there aren't sticks, rocks. If there are no sticks and no rocks, the ground is probably soft enough to use stakes. Some extra para-cord is a good idea.

You want the MSR Ground Hog. That is the answer you're looking for. They are The Way.

I believe this was the stake I read the review of somewhere. REI site gives it pretty high reviews but a common complaint is breaking the heads off hammering into a rock or hard object. I guess the cord notch provides a point of weakness.

I believe this was the stake I read the review of somewhere. REI site gives it pretty high reviews but a common complaint is breaking the heads off hammering into a rock or hard object. I guess the cord notch provides a point of weakness.

Yeah I saw that - it has never happened to me, for whatever that is worth. And I've pounded those stakes in with rocks, a hammer, my heal, whatever I can get my hands on. In 10 years, I've never had it happen. And I've definitely NOT babied them. My standard solution when it feels like there's a rock in the way is to pound harder. Still, I'm sure they're not indestructable. For me, they're the obvious right choice for weight, price and durability.

Yeah I saw that - it has never happened to me, for whatever that is worth. And I've pounded those stakes in with rocks, a hammer, my heal, whatever I can get my hands on. In 10 years, I've never had it happen. And I've definitely NOT babied them. My standard solution when it feels like there's a rock in the way is to pound harder. Still, I'm sure they're not indestructable. For me, they're the obvious right choice for weight, price and durability.

I went with a very similar stake on Amazon. There were dozens of near identical looking stakes, many with better pricing. I assume the type of aluminum used makes a difference. Forget the name of company for ones I went with but they had detailed specifics on aluminum, features, etc and had a lifetime guarantee. I got 8 stakes and a carry bag for $12.99 or something like that. I'll find out soon enough if they're comparable. Thanks for the referral.

Nice! Yeah, they're tent stakes - they don't have the same criticality as, say, a climbing rope. If one of your stakes breaks, you've still got 7 others, plus whatever other materials you can find. Give us an update once you've had them out a couple of times. Though I think I bought 10 or 12 of the MSR stakes a LONG time ago and I can't imagine when I'll need to buy another one.